DX11 (CSMT?) Performance Question

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Dox
Level 2
Level 2

DX11 (CSMT?) Performance Question

Post by Dox »

In Wine Staging 2.1 CSMT was reworked, and now CSMT is working with DX11. DX11 also has been getting improvements each release. This is absolutely great, and it allows us to run a lot of DX11 games now using Wine. Thanks for that!

Now about the performance: I run mostly Blizzard games (WoW/HotS/SCII), and running them with DX9 with Staging 2.0 with CSMT enabled still gives the best speed. Using DX9 or DX11 with the latest Staging results in around 50% less fps. Lowering graphics details to lowest settings does not increase framerate at all, it just results in the CPU and GPU running below 40% usage for me. And enabling CSMT increases CPU load, but does not actually increase FPS. On top of that, it seems that Blizzard isn't fixing their DX9 client for WoW anymore, so in order to play without graphic issues, you have to use DX11.

My question now is: Are the any speed improvements still in the works for DX11? For example, the speedhacks that were in the 2.0 version that still need to be reimplemented, etc...

Dox
dimesio

Re: DX11 (CSMT?) Performance Question

Post by dimesio »

Not only is your Wine version outdated (current release is 2.22), you are behind in your information: CSMT has been part of the development branch since 2.6.
Dox
Level 2
Level 2

Re: DX11 (CSMT?) Performance Question

Post by Dox »

I think you misread my post. I'll try to make it clearer: I have both latest Staging (2.21 atm), and I have Staging 2.0. I still use Staging 2.0, because CSMT in Staging 2.0 works much better for DX9, then it does for current Staging versions.

What I'm noting, is that DX9 CSMT's speed still hasn't caught back up to the speed increase it gives in Staging 2.0 for DX9. Also, current (2.21) CSMT doesn't give more fps in DX9/DX11 when turned on for the Blizzard games that I play, it just increases CPU usage. I had hoped that the Futex patch (https://dev.wine-staging.com/patches/210/ ) would help give more fps, but the results I posted there show that CPU usage does go down, but fps doesn't go up.

Now, this made me wonder if there is still any work going on for DX11 / CSMT, that would increase performance. Since I have low fps combined with low cpu/gpu usage, so there is room to get more fps.

Dox