Manually Install an Application

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
uckjhfrv
Level 2
Level 2

Manually Install an Application

Post by uckjhfrv »

I want to use a program that is on my Windows box but I don't have an installer for it. I can manually install it on another Windows box by copying several files and placing them in specific directories under %SYSTEMROOT% and then registering some controls using regsvr32 command. Then I can manually add the program to the start menu. How would I go about doing this in Wine?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Manually Install an Application

Post by Bob Wya »

uckjhfrv wrote:I want to use a program that is on my Windows box but I don't have an installer for it. I can manually install it on another Windows box by copying several files and placing them in specific directories under %SYSTEMROOT% and then registering some controls using regsvr32 command. Then I can manually add the program to the start menu. How would I go about doing this in Wine?
See the: WineHQ FAQ ...

It should be a pretty similar process often works with Wine.

The default WINEPREFIX (virtual Windows root directory) is:

Code: Select all

~/.wine
Thus making %SYSTEMROOT%:

~/.wine/drive_c
The WINEPREFIX you are using has to be the same architecture as your Windows box: 32-bit or 64-bit.

wine regsvr32.exe ...
is same command as on Windows. But you might also need to do:

wine64 regsvr32.exe ...
for a 64-bit WINEPREFIX.

Bob
uckjhfrv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by uckjhfrv »

When I try to run the application is says

Error while loading application settings. wine's library path for 32 and 64 bit is not set.
Please, go to the q4wine options dialog and set at least one path.

I don't understand how to do that.
uckjhfrv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by uckjhfrv »

Okay I found out how to set the library paths, but when I try to run the application it says
err:module:import_dll Library MFC42u.DLL not found
err:module:import_dll Library imgcmn.dll not found

Both of these files are in C:/windows/system32

I tried setting dll overrides but no change.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

uckjhfrv wrote:When I try to run the application is says

Error while loading application settings. wine's library path for 32 and 64 bit is not set.
Please, go to the q4wine options dialog and set at least one path.

I don't understand how to do that.
Much as I love the q4wine project - it's a just a 3rd party wrapper for the Wine package(s) on your system.
Such tools aren't supported on these forums - see WineHQ FAQ: 8.7 I used a third party application (PlayOnLinux, WineBottler, etc.) to install or manage applications in Wine and need help ...

At this stage, especially when troubleshooting, it would be more appropriate to stick to the Linux terminal / command line.

Bob
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

uckjhfrv wrote:Okay I found out how to set the library paths, but when I try to run the application it says

err:module:import_dll Library MFC42u.DLL not found
err:module:import_dll Library imgcmn.dll not found
Both of these files are in C:/windows/system32

I tried setting dll overrides but no change.
Please post the full terminal output - using the forum Code:

Code
tags.
Please also include the directory path and command you used to launch your application with Wine, e.g.

cd ...
pwd
wine start ...
Filling in the ellipse's (...) obviously!

It sounds like your program is quite old, if it's based on the ancient Visual C++ 6 SP4.
Are you testing with a 64-bit WINEPREFIX?
If you are I wouldn't! Switch to using a 32-bit WINEPREFIX ...
Switch your WINEPREFIX to Windows XP compatibility as well... If you haven't already...

E.g. to create a independent Windows XP , 32-bit WINEPREFIX to test with:

export WINEPREFIX="${HOME}/.wine32"
WINEARCH="win32" wineboot -u
winetricks winxp
You will need to move your legacy application files to the directories under:

/home/ ... /.wine32/drive_c
Note: you still need to use the line:

export WINEPREFIX="${HOME}/.wine32"
any time you start a new shell session (new tab or window).
Check this environment variable is active, in your current shell session, with:

env | grep WINEPREFIX
before you run any commands using wine.
Otherwise wine will simply assume you are referring to the default WINEPREFIX:

/home/ ... /.wine/drive_c
If you want to solve the problem and get a bit more familiar with using Wine...
Take the time to read through the whole of the: WineHQ FAQ.
It contains words of wisdom! Even if you don't understand it all immediately you can start the process of learning to use Wine properly... 8)

The less information you give us the less able we are to help you! :roll:
So please actually bother to take the time to give more detail on the individual steps you are taking to solve the problem.
Bear in mind I'm not sitting looking over your shoulder, at what you are doing / typing in on your system!

Bob
uckjhfrv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by uckjhfrv »

I've read the Wine FAQ but I couldn't find enough information there. It says "some applications can be copied from Windows to Wine and still work, but don't try this unless you like tinkering under the hood of your car while it's running", but I couldn't find more information on that. I've tried a new prefix:

user@Heaviside:~> env | grep WINEPREFIX
user@Heaviside:~> export WINEPREFIX="${HOME}/.wine32"
user@Heaviside:~> WINEARCH="win32" wineboot -u
wine: created the configuration directory '/home/user/.wine32'
err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {00000131-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}
err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hres=0x80004002
err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, 80004002
err:ole:get_local_server_stream Failed: 80004002
err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {00000131-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}
err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hres=0x80004002
err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, 80004002
err:ole:get_local_server_stream Failed: 80004002
fixme:urlmon:InternetBindInfo_GetBindString not supported string type 20
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyIpInterfaceChange (family 0, callback 0x6a0cb608, context 0xa486c0, init_notify 0, handle 0x127e7b4): stub
wine: configuration in '/home/user/.wine32' has been updated.
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyIpInterfaceChange (family 0, callback 0x6a0cb608, context 0x9386c0, init_notify 0, handle 0x116e7b4): stub
wine: configuration in '/home/user/.wine32' has been updated.
user@Heaviside:~> winetricks winxp
Using winetricks 20170327-next - sha256sum: 71d2dfbf51155fbca45d3f20e7d4922b66a00173838c5152e5e4f183bad89506 with wine-2.0.1 and WINEARCH=win32
------------------------------------------------------
You are running winetricks-20170327-next, latest upstream is winetricks-20171018!
You should update using your distribution's package manager, --self-update, or manually.
Executing w_do_call winxp
Executing load_winxp 
Setting Windows version to winxp
Executing winetricks_early_wine regedit C:\windows\Temp\_winxp\set-winver.reg
user@Heaviside~/.wine32/drive_c/windows/system32> env | grep WINEPREFIX
WINEPREFIX=/home/user/.wine32
Then I tried registering the controls for the application:

user@Heaviside:~/.wine32/drive_c/windows/system32> wine regsvr32.exe imgadmin.ocx    
err:module:import_dll Library MFC42u.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\imgadmin.ocx") not found
err:module:import_dll Library MFC42u.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\imgcmn.dll") not found
err:module:import_dll Library imgcmn.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\imgadmin.ocx") not found
regsvr32: Failed to load DLL 'imgadmin.ocx'
user@Heaviside:~/.wine32/drive_c/windows/system32> wine regsvr32.exe imgedit.ocx
err:module:import_dll Library MFC42u.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\imgedit.ocx") not found
err:module:import_dll Library MFC42u.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\imgcmn.dll") not found
err:module:import_dll Library imgcmn.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\imgedit.ocx") not found
regsvr32: Failed to load DLL 'imgedit.ocx'
user@Heaviside:~/.wine32/drive_c/windows/system32> wine regsvr32.exe imgscan.ocx
err:module:import_dll Library MFC42u.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\imgscan.ocx") not found
err:module:import_dll Library imgcmn.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\imgscan.ocx") not found
err:module:import_dll Library MFC42u.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\oiUI400.dll") not found
err:module:import_dll Library oiUI400.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\imgscan.ocx") not found
regsvr32: Failed to load DLL 'imgscan.ocx'
user@Heaviside:~/.wine32/drive_c/windows/system32> wine regsvr32.exe imgthumb.ocx
err:module:import_dll Library MFC42u.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\imgthumb.ocx") not found
err:module:import_dll Library imgcmn.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\imgthumb.ocx") not found
regsvr32: Failed to load DLL 'imgthumb.ocx'