Star Wars: The Old Republic: Problem retrieving patch data

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
mdw2
Level 2
Level 2

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Problem retrieving patch data

Post by mdw2 »

Hi there,
I have been having problems with SW:TOR. I downloaded the free-to-play version from the official website (swtor.com/game/download). After having problems with starting the launcher (Certificate Authorization Problem) I replaced most of the files in the drive_c/Program Files/Electronic Arts/BioWare/Star Wars - The Old Republic folder with those from the 2014 patcher and added the line "skip_self_patch": "true" in launcher.settings.
I got that advice from https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comments ... on_failure.
After that, the launcher started but was initializing for hours. I then had some other files in the described folder. Following a tutorial
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VSExphdE9U)
I set "bitraider_disable" in launcher.settings to true.
After that I had the error message "Unable to retrieve patch data. Please check network connection. (206)" in the bottom left corner of the launcher.
Any idea what could have caused this? Help is always welcome! :wink:
mdw2
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic: Problem retrieving patch da

Post by mdw2 »

BTW I also got this error message from time to time when I open the launcher:
"Installation of the driver and support components require administrative acknowledgement. Try invoking the client again. Installer cannot continue. Exiting."
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic: Problem retrieving patch da

Post by Bob Wya »

@mdw2

See: Bug 43469 - Star Wars the old republic give an error message and exits after latest update ...

tl;dr you need to install Wine Staging 2.14 or newer.

Bob