Text not appearing - how to investigate

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
lupacexi

Text not appearing - how to investigate

Post by lupacexi »

Hi - I am an application developer. Users of my app tell me that no text appears in reports displayed on-screen, when run under Wine (e.g Ubuntu 12.4 64 bit version, Wine version 1.7.4). Text appears in plenty of other places in the app - just not in reports. I initially assumed that it would be very easy to find out where the problem is, but it hasn't worked out that way. I put together a few debugging/test versions of my app to try to narrow down where the problem lies. I can, for example, confirm that the coordinates are correct by outputting a simple rectangle on-screen, and that appears where it should. But if I try outputting text into the rectangle area, using any of the normal Win32 APIs (TextOut, ExtTextOut or DrawText - even with stripped-down, 'bare minimum' options), nothing appears. The only exception to this is that if I call GetCharacterPlacement with the GCP_LIGATE option, and use the resulting GCP_RESULTS structure to position the text output, using ExtTextOut, everything comes out perfectly. But I can't use this to solve the problem generally.

The problem occurs whatever font is selected, with whatever size or colour. I use the same APIs elsewhere in the program and they work fine. So something is clearly different. I thought it might to be related to my text alignment option (TA_BASELINE), but I tried other alignments and they didn't work either. I'm guessing that it is some feature of the DC that is not supported by Wine, but I haven't found it yet. Has anyone come across anything like this? I can pursue all the obvious approaches to locating the problem, but I don't want to spend a lot of time on this and there is a lot of code involved. If anyone can suggest anything that could save me time, that would be much appreciated.

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place. If so, please tell me where I should be posting it.
dimesio

Re: Text not appearing - how to investigate

Post by dimesio »

Start by upgrading Wine; 1.7.4 is three years old and no longer supported. The current development release is 2.15.