Cannot run Oblivion on staging 2.15

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Onion

Cannot run Oblivion on staging 2.15

Post by Onion »

I've been trying to install and run Obvlivion 1.2 under wine staging with no success. I've applied all the fixes, turning off winegstreamer, installing dxd9_27 with winetricks into the prefix, etc.

I've been getting this output in the terminal, as the output is very verbose and spams the same output I'll paste it once.

Code: Select all

fixme:winediag:start_process Wine Staging 2.15 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
fixme:winediag:start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
fixme:process:SetProcessDEPPolicy (1): stub
fixme:wer:WerSetFlags (2) stub!
fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0 stub
fixme:d3d:wined3d_check_device_format_conversion wined3d 0x164588, adapter_idx 0, device_type WINED3D_DEVICE_TYPE_REF, src_format WINED3DFMT_B5G6R5_UNORM, dst_format WINED3DFMT_B8G8R8X8_UNORM stub!
I'd be greatful for help troubleshooting this.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Cannot run Oblivion on staging 2.15

Post by Bob Wya »

@Onion,

I just tested The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX; also using Wine Staging 2.15.
Otherwise all default settings: no overrides, no Wine Virtual Desktop, Windows 7 version.
Running Gentoo means my Gstreamer plugins will be installed correctly - which seems to be "a thing" for all binary distributions. :lol:

Runs pretty well for me - with all the settings dialled up to the max... Still a nice looking game - especially now I have the hardware to play it... 8)

Anyway about your issue...
  • Can you post the full runtime terminal output. Probably on bpaste.net or that Debian paste bin thingy...
  • At what point does the game visibly fail / stop - when you launch it? Immediately?
  • have you changed any of the Options settings in Oblivion Launcher?
  • What's the output from:

glxinfo | egrep 'OpenGL| version'
Ta
Bob
llde

Post by llde »

The most common cause of Oblivion not running without any error on wineconsole or exception is that probably you don't have Oblivion.esm checked in OblivionLauncher or specific mod managers. This may happen also on Windows.

Otherwise to check for other issues you should:
1)check if you have the last version, if not upgrade (also install shivering isle and the DLCs if you have them) (last version is 1.2.416)
2)Install OBSE from obse.silverlock.org
3)Install MessageLogger form tes.nexusmods.com

then launch the game with wine obse_loader.exe
Check the MessageLog.txt file in the game root.
Final note:
The HowTO in AppDB is outdated. If you use wine-staging you do not need installing the dxd9_27.dll . (Note that the installer automatically override the system dll for d3d9_27.dll so cleaning the wine-prefix may help to have a smoother experience depending on your hardware)
Winegstreamer.dll should be disabled only if it explictly crash. Note that in case you must have mpg123 support (so fedora builtin package is excluded).
Note that to be able to work the 32 bit gstreamer packages must be the same version of the 64bit ones. (this is valid also for the plugin packages)
Also thew 32 bit gstreamer plugin bad and ugly packages must be installed.
In fact when I had this bug in my archlinux install was exactly caused by this mismatch.

Then once everything work remeber the Unofficial Patches.
Onion

Post by Onion »

@Bob Wya
The full output of running oblivion.exe in it's prefix
The unhandled exception it's throwing out is what's stumping me, I can't figure out what it is for the life of me.
https://bpaste.net/show/771bb34cedb4

The output of glxinfo | egrep 'OpenGL| version'
https://bpaste.net/show/e0de4cbae73b

The game crashes right after it launches and I only get a small black rectangle in the top left corner of my screen for a bit until the app closes.
Onion

Post by Onion »

@llde
I do have the latest version, the nonofficial patch, as well as all the DLC.

I just tried OBSE and it works, the game is running just fine now. Thanks for your time and thought regarding my issue.
Onion

Post by Onion »

@llde
I actually spoke too soon, after a little while the game freezes and crashes consistently.

Also running obse in the 32 bit oblivion prefix does not work, it will only run in the default 64 bit prefix.
When running it in the 32 bit prefix I get the error "Couldn't find Oblivion.exe, make sure you're running this from the same folder as your oblivion.exe."
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Onion wrote:...
I actually spoke too soon, after a little while the game freezes and crashes consistently.

Also running obse in the 32 bit oblivion prefix does not work, it will only run in the default 64 bit prefix.
When running it in the 32 bit prefix I get the error "Couldn't find Oblivion.exe, make sure you're running this from the same folder as your oblivion.exe."
@Onion

Sounds like the old classic... Potentially your issue is an Intel graphics driver issue.

You could try:

env MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5 wine ...
See: Mesa 3D: Environment Variables ...

Bob