Problem while switching between programms

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Noebian

Problem while switching between programms

Post by Noebian »

Hi, can anyone explain to me the behavior of programms running under wine?
If I try to switch between running programms with Alt+Tab some wine-programms appear always at the end of the tasklist, so I have to hit alt+Tab more then one time.
With other programms running under wine this problem don't appear, I can switch between them and other tasks in the normal way.
On what depends this different behavior?
dieRouladenkönigin
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Problem while switching between programms

Post by dieRouladenkönigin »

Hey there, stuff like that happens a lot on wine, usually you are lucky if you are even able to switch windows in wine so my advise is be happy with it :D
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Problem while switching between programms

Post by Bob Wya »

It's mainly the issue of translating Windows NT Windowing behaviour into the X-Windows environment - used on Linux (mainly - excepting the gradual move to Wayland!!)

If you want a brief introduction - see the WineHQ Developer's Guide ...
The tl;dr version is that Wine translates Windows draw calls into rough X-Windows equivalents.
This means that popup Windows dialog boxes and menus are implemented as full X-Windows.
Draw order on native Windows is very different to X-Windows.

Which is why you Windows Steam client pulldown menus can sometimes appear in random places on your screen - when running this application under Wine.
Or as they were doing at one point - popping under the main Steam Client Window!

Native Linux Desktop Environments can influence the behaviour of applications running under Wine...
I'm aware that Gnome Shell has had open issues with Wine compatibility. I can't comment on the current status of these...

Bob