Very high CPU usage - rFactor2 Dedicated Server on Wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
DevinXXL
Level 1
Level 1

Very high CPU usage - rFactor2 Dedicated Server on Wine

Post by DevinXXL »

Hello,

I've come here in hopes that maybe someone knows a solution to this, because everything I've tried failed.
We're hosting an rF2 dedicated server on a Debian machine using Wine. Both, 32-bit and 64-bit server builds work great on Wine 2.1 and later. By working great I mean no visual bugs, all features work as expected.

But there seems to be one major problem: when idle, a single server instance causes 40% CPU load (on two cores of a fairly powerful Xeon, as well as a dedicated AMD dual-core CPU. Tested it on both) and when there are players on the server, the CPU load shoots up to 100% in no time. The more packages get sent, the higher the CPU load gets.

Additionally, the wineserver process causes roughly half as much CPU load as the rF2 dedicated.exe process, so often around 35%. This makes it unplayable.

Apparently on Windows a single server instance (according to the developers) should roughly take up 250MHz, so on a 2.5GHz CPU I should be able to run 10 instances without a problem, even with players on them. I've tested this on a windows machine and it is true, as on my local Windows machine I could host 40 instances without lag, with no more than 1% CPU load even from instances with players on them. So the recommended specs aren't wrong.

Does anyone have an idea what could go wrong? If I can't fix it, I'll be forced to migrate to a Windows server, which I honestly don't want to deal with (for more reasons than just $$$), after all there's a good reason that I've decided to use Debian in the first place :D

In case anyone asks for it, the rF2 dedicated server can be downloaded anonymously using SteamCMD: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =553088396