Staging devel

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
freiwitz

Staging devel

Post by freiwitz »

It is very confusing for me to understand the difference of staging and devel

My understanding was that stable is the "stable" release.
devel is the development branch
staging was the release candidate for an upcoming wine version.

but from other sources it seems that staging is the bleeding edge, that is devel plus unapproved patches.

In the past 15+ years I always used devel, never stable because "stable" had really little meaning for me other than "contains more unfixed bugs" and in the past it took some time for a new stable to get released, so in wine it was always a safe bet to go with the devel version, even more so after test based development was applied.

What do you recommend me? Stable or Devel? :mrgreen:
Against which version shouid bugs be filed ideally? Only devel? Always stable? Do you have a preference?
dimesio

Re: Staging devel

Post by dimesio »

freiwitz wrote: it seems that staging is the bleeding edge, that is devel plus unapproved patches.
That is correct.
What do you recommend me? Stable or Devel?
Use whatever works best for the apps you run in Wine.
Against which version shouid bugs be filed ideally? Only devel? Always stable?
Stable is not a choice; the choices are Wine or Wine-staging. Wine covers both the development and stable branches, but you should always test the latest development release before filing any bug. File bugs against Wine-staging only if the problem only exists in the staging branch.