Questions, :-) I'm a novice

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
UWF97Nole

Post by UWF97Nole »

I have EA's Need for Speed 2 and Need for Speed 3 Hot Pursuit.

Neither one will run on my WIN XP system. I have a pretty solid 3.0 Ghz system with a 256 MB nvidia graphics card.

I want to run these programs, can I download WINE HQ and play these?

I found this?

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... ngId=15217

But, I have no clue how to even start, how does this WINE HQ work?

Can I get these programs to utilize my graphics card with WINE HQ?

I apologize, I'm such a novice on this stuff.

I just want to run these games in the full capacity in graphics that they will run in on my machine? What application do I need to download, there are so many things on that list, I don't have a clue which one to download?

I apologize for being ignorant, I just do not know from the list what to download so I can get to running these games again. They are awesome games, and I just want to be able to play them.

Thank you so much
Robert
Marcel W. Wysocki

Post by Marcel W. Wysocki »

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 10:18:26 -0500
"UWF97Nole" <[email protected]> wrote:
Neither one will run on my WIN XP system. I have a pretty solid 3.0 Ghz system with a 256 MB nvidia graphics card.
do you even run a GNU/Linux system ?

--
Marcel W. Wysocki <[email protected]>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 197 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-us ... chment.pgp
UWF97Nole

negative

Post by UWF97Nole »

I only have a win xp system. have a friend who said I could possibly run this, in his saying, running windows on top of windows?

Is that ok to do, or is it not rec'd? I mean, I don't know anything about this stuff?

I'm a gamer, and just like playing old school games. I already run dosbox for my old-school dos based games. LOL
Marcel W. Wysocki

Post by Marcel W. Wysocki »

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 10:48:10 -0500
"UWF97Nole" <[email protected]> wrote:
I only have a win xp system. have a friend who said I could possibly run this, in his saying, running windows on top of windows?
you can not run wine on windows xp. from the winehq.com frontpage:

Wine is an Open Source implementation of the Windows API on top of X, OpenGL, and Unix.

Think of Wine as a compatibility layer for running Windows programs. Wine does not require Microsoft Windows, as it is a completely free alternative implementation of the Windows API consisting of 100% non-Microsoft code, however Wine can optionally use native Windows DLLs if they are available. Wine provides both a development toolkit for porting Windows source code to Unix as well as a program loader, allowing many unmodified Windows programs to run on x86-based Unixes, including Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, and Solaris.

--
Marcel W. Wysocki <[email protected]>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 197 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-us ... chment.pgp
UWF97Nole

When I read this, I thought it meant you could

Post by UWF97Nole »

Think of Wine as a compatibility layer for running Windows programs. Wine does not require Microsoft Windows
Does not require Windows, but thought you could run it from XP.

Alas, back to square one.
rockinup1231
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rockinup1231 »

It's not intended to make apps work better in Windows, it's to make non-Windows OS's compatible with Windows apps. Even if you could run wine on windows without need for a virtual machine, it would probably run programs worse.