Xinput support status

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
hjahre
Level 1
Level 1

Xinput support status

Post by hjahre »

Hi,

Does anyone know how the current status of XInput support in wine? I cannot get it to work, and I kind of thought it would be available by now.
The reason for this is this article from september 2016.
dimesio

Re: Xinput support status

Post by dimesio »

You didn't mention what Wine version you're using; if it's not the latest development or staging release, you need to upgrade. HID support was turned on by default as of 2.1, but is not in the stable branch. Some instructions for testing are here: https://wiki.winehq.org/Hid.
hjahre
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hjahre »

I run wine Staging 2.11, so it should be the latest. But I guess the reason why I thought XInput was not working was because of my Dualshock 4 (ds4) controller. It only works in games that support direct input.

My dualshock 3 (ds3) however, works in XInput only games (at least it worked in the game I tried, LEGO Harry Potter 1-4).

I guess this is because of the ds4 is not mapped in the xinput-module?
madewokherd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by madewokherd »

That work isn't in Wine. As far as I know, xinput hasn't been touched yet.

Wine does have HID support, but only for applications that access HID directly, not using joystick API's. There's a lot of work remaining to make this usable for joysticks, and port the existing joystick API's over to using HID.
hjahre
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hjahre »

I don't know if LEGO Harry Potter 1-4 has HID support, but don't think it has. Other games I've tried, like Tomb Raider Underworld seems to have it (or at least have Direct Input support), as it detects the DS4 correctly and lets me map the controller as I want.

But if the Wine xinput support is not ready, and the game does not have direct HID support, then why does it work with DS3 controller (DualShock 3) and not the DS4 controller?

Anyways, if the support is not there yet, then it's nothing more to do than wait for it to be completed.
hjahre
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hjahre »

Ok, so I've disabled the xinput-dlls and LEGO Harry Potter 1-4 still recognises my DS3, but my DS4 is not detected. So maybe this is an issue with dinput, not xinput?