Application does not like my CD-ROM drive :(

Questions about Wine on Linux
blauhirn
Level 1
Level 1

Application does not like my CD-ROM drive :(

Post by blauhirn »

Hello,

trying to run "Alien Nations" (orig. "Die Völker"), 1999 (says "There's no copy protection").
Unfortunately, my Linux does not have a CD-drive. Thus, using another computer, I got the files as an iso, and mounted them on my linux @ /media/iso.

With this "fake drive", I could successfully install the game. However, when starting, I get prompted with
Please insert Alien Nations CD-ROM!
What could be the reason for the game to decline the mounting point?

Using wine gdb, I found that the function GetFileAttributesA gets called with stack pointer $ebx being
"F:\\media\\iso\\Setup\\..\\Game\\".
Note that "/media/iso/SETUP" and "/media/iso/GAME" do exist, due to the mounted iso. Also, according to Wine config, I have a drive mapping from F: to /media/iso.

I'm not really good at this stuff, so any comments are very welcome
Thanks
Blauhirn
blauhirn
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Application does not like my CD-ROM drive :(

Post by blauhirn »

any ideas? :(
hjahre
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hjahre »

Hi,

Does the CD-ROM map to the same drive now as when you installed the game (d: or similar)? Have you tried changing the drive type in Wine from Automatic to CD-ROM for your path?

Linux specific:
I have some images I've created for my games, but I treat the ones without copy protection as "General protected cd" when I create them. I have a windows box with Alcohol 120% for creation of images. The only way I've been able to mount the resulting mdf/s files using Linux, is by installing cdemu.

The thing about cdemu is that it creates a virtual drive, and Wine will automatically see this drive as CD-ROM. I also mount the drive, but I don't think that is necessary with a normal setup.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

If the game expects to interact with real hardware, simply mounting an iso won't work. As hjahre suggests, try CDEmu.
blauhirn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blauhirn »

Thanks for the input, much appreciated!
I tried CDEMU, unfortunately no luck. The drive was already mapped to type CD-ROM automatically, as can be seen from the following screenshot: (yes this is ubuntu)

http://i.imgur.com/iXJqsJ3.png

I will keep trying to find a workaround with GDB, but do you guys have any other idea?

Cheers
Blauhirn
blauhirn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blauhirn »

uhu, so I solved the "please insert CD-ROM" alert with the following shell script:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
cd "$HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/neoSoftware/Die Völker/Bin"
winedbg --gdb DV.exe <<EOL
break *0x4869c3
commands
	jump *0x486a03
end
continue
EOL
(this "hacks" inside the program code and changes its behaviour)

Not really sure if the adresses will be the same on other systems too. If needed, contact [email protected].

However, I can't get the ingame world to start, only thing that works is the menu (with sound). This would belong in another thread though. Thanks for the help again.
blauhirn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blauhirn »

can be closed.
reason was an obsolete wine veresion (why in the world does apt-get install 1.6??)
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

blauhirn wrote:reason was an obsolete wine veresion (why in the world does apt-get install 1.6??)
Sadly it's not too uncommon for distros to ship outdated versions of wine per default. Always install the upstream package if possible.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

DarkShadow44 wrote: Sadly it's not too uncommon for Debian to ship outdated versions of wine per default.
Fixed for you! :wink:
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

1.6 :?:

Debian 7 “Wheezy” i386, amd64, armel and armhf LTS from 26th April 2016 to 31st May 2018
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/wine reports wine (1.4.1-4) :lol:

In 4 months wine 1.6.2-20 will be the LTS version :lol:
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/wine