Opening one .exe that calls a second .exe...is it possible?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
teklife23

Opening one .exe that calls a second .exe...is it possible?

Post by teklife23 »

I am totally new to the WINE ecosystem, but I started looking into it for a very specific reason. I have a bit of software that runs as an excel file, a model I want to be able to securely share that cannot subsequently be copied and shared. I have found a great product to do this on Windows OS, but it only works with .app files for Mac OS. I thought WINE was the perfect solution to get both a Windows and Mac OS compatible version: I could use this product which makes my .xlsm into a .exe, then I convert and open on a Mac OS with a WINE program (i've tried winebottler and wineskin).

However - I now realize that the first .exe (the copy protected version of .xlsm) calls a second .exe (excel 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, or a free excel viewer). So the program runs through the front end to initiate but when it come time to open in excel I get a warning that it needs one of the aforementioned programs to fully open the file...I tried downloading the free excel viewer as an .exe and also saving it to my WINE folders, but to no avail.

Am I going down a path that can lead me to my destination? Is it possible to open one .exe that triggers another .exe to open and have it all work?