Game needs 16 colours

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Techtronic

Game needs 16 colours

Post by Techtronic »

I'm trying to get HEDZ to work. it successfully installed on Ubuntu with Wine but now it won't launch because, for whatever reason, it needs 16 colours to run. I've spent weeks trying to get this game working and this is the closest I've gotten. I searched and all the fixes i've seen have either not worked or been possible due to the files specified simply not existing on my system (ie: xorg.conf). So far, I haven't seen anyone troubleshooting HEDZ, just other old games that need this setting. Does anyone know how to set up the 16 colour depth?

Error message:

Doesn't work on DOSBox, Win10, Win7, or a Win98 vm that i tried
Techtronic

Re: Game needs 16 colours

Post by Techtronic »

Forgot to mention, i'm on Ubuntu 16.04 with Wine 1.6.2. that's what installed when i ran the commands.
mainliner
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mainliner »

Try running it from the command line a posting the terminal output.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@Techtronic

See: WineHQ: 256 Color Mode ...

Since you haven't given us any details about your system hardware or graphics stack...
I can just comment that the proprietary Nvidia drivers still support a 16-bit X-Session (last time I checked) - typically you would use a nested X-session.
I tested out the Xephyr option - and that supported a 16-bit colour depth (if memory serves me).

Wine could have support for padding 8-bit/16-bit Windows to 32-bit pixels for Wine's FBO - in a Wine Virtual Desktop...
Just nobody has done this... yet! :wink:

Bob
Techtronic

Post by Techtronic »

Bob Wya wrote:@Techtronic

See: WineHQ: 256 Color Mode ...

Since you haven't given us any details about your system hardware or graphics stack...
I can just comment that the proprietary Nvidia drivers still support a 16-bit X-Session (last time I checked) - typically you would use a nested X-session.
I tested out the Xephyr option - and that supported a 16-bit colour depth (if memory serves me).

Wine could have support for padding 8-bit/16-bit Windows to 32-bit pixels for Wine's FBO - in a Wine Virtual Desktop...
Just nobody has done this... yet! :wink:

Bob
Sorry, i guess that would be necessary.

CPU: AMD FX 8350 black edition
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
I have 2GB of RAM and 20GB of storage assigned to the VM with Ubuntu.

How would i run a 16-bit x-session? and what do you mean by the proprietary Nvidia drivers?

I am trying to run the autorun with the 'Wine windows program loader' and i get the error from the first post. if i try to run it without that then it just fails because it's an exe and Ubuntu can't run those natively. The game did successfully install, i'm just having this issue with trying to run it. I've tried looking for a colour depth option but i can't find anything.
Techtronic

Post by Techtronic »

mainliner wrote:Try running it from the command line a posting the terminal output.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Techtronic wrote:
mainliner wrote:Try running it from the command line a posting the terminal output.
Ummm... That's a screenshot of the command line. This is definitely not useful. :roll:

See WineHQ FAQ: 10.1.1 How can I get a debugging log (a.k.a. terminal output)?

Please use the WineHQ Forum

Code: Select all

Code
tags - if you are posting any terminal output inline.
Please post this as text (not an image please!!)

Just like the Dosbox project the Wine project has extensive User documentation.
See: WineHQ FAQ.
Also see: WineHQ User Guide.
This documentation is for YOUR benefit! It's worth actually reading through this - so you know how to use these tools effectively. 8)

Bob