General Wine and PoL understanding

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
cica00v

General Wine and PoL understanding

Post by cica00v »

Hello!

I've finally succeeded installing Hearthstone on Linux Mint 18.1 (24th May 2017). I feel like I've "succeeded" in the same sense that a monkey given a typewriter would eventually write the complete works of Shakespeare by hitting random buttons.

Does anyone have the answers to any of these questions to help me feel less like a monkey:

When I do the command:
winetricks vcrun2015
Is that now done for everything, or does it need to be done on an individual game or app installation basis? Does it need to happen before or after anything?

How different is Ubuntu and Mint with regards to setting up Wine and PlayOnLinux? (I've been trying to follow lots of guides)

Is there a difference between the terminal and the PlayOnLinux console?

Is there a way to check if a .exe is running in 32bit or 64bit?

Wineprefix seems to be the location of wine, and you have multiple if you want one running in 64bit and one in 32bit. Is there an easier way to just have everything 32bit if that's less likely to be buggy? (My OS is 64 bit)

I found out that installing wine through software manager is a bit old, however Play On Linux is reporting version 4.2.10, so that should be fine installed from the software manager, right?

Thank you all for your time.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: General Wine and PoL understanding

Post by Bob Wya »

cica00v wrote:...
When I do the command:
winetricks vcrun2015
Is that now done for everything, or does it need to be done on an individual game or app installation basis? Does it need to happen before or after anything?
winetricks is monolithic BASH script - used a Wine Helper. Most of the operations it performs are per-WINEPREFIX.
You can check what frameworks are installed, in a WINEPREFIX, by checking the output of:

Code: Select all

wine uninstaller
and also by looking at the Wine DLL overrides in the: winecfg utility (Library tab).
cica00v wrote: How different is Ubuntu and Mint with regards to setting up Wine and PlayOnLinux? (I've been trying to follow lots of guides)
They are the same Operating System - only the latter has more bugs... :roll:
cica00v wrote: Is there a way to check if a .exe is running in 32bit or 64bit?
Well pev is a useful tool to statically check if an installed executable (EXE) or dynamic link library (DLL) is 32-bit or 64-bit, see pev the PE file analysis toolkit ...
Dynamically, I'm not sure off the top of my head... But I can dig up an answer if you're still interested!!
cica00v wrote: Wineprefix seems to be the location of wine, and you have multiple if you want one running in 64bit and one in 32bit. Is there an easier way to just have everything 32bit if that's less likely to be buggy? (My OS is 64 bit)
Well technically a so called WINEPREFIX is a virtual Wine Windows installation - containing the Windows C:\ drive and (text-based format) registry files.

Adding:

Code: Select all

export WINEARCH=win32
to your global Linux profile or user's bashrc file will default all WINEPREFIX's to 32-bit (but will break when you try to use any 64-bit WINEPREFIX's).
cica00v wrote: I found out that installing wine through software manager is a bit old, however Play On Linux is reporting version 4.2.10, so that should be fine installed from the software manager, right?
See WineHQ Download: Ubuntu - for steps how to get the latest version of Wine on Ubuntu.

Play On Linux is a 3rd-party Wine wrapper - which is not supported on this Site...
See WineHQ FAQ: 8.7 I used a third party application (PlayOnLinux, WineBottler, etc.) to install or manage applications in Wine and need help ...

Bob