Motor Traders Assistant

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Marmite
Level 1
Level 1

Motor Traders Assistant

Post by Marmite »

I am new to Wine and trying to get MTA v3 (Motor Traders Assistant) to run on Wine v2.x and having the following problem. When I run the installer, it appears to go well. But then the application runs and there are obviously problems. It tries to load, shows these errors and then exits.
Attachments
MTA Errors on loading
MTA Errors on loading
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Motor Traders Assistant

Post by Bob Wya »

Marmite wrote:I am new to Wine and trying to get MTA v3 (Motor Traders Assistant) to run on Wine v2.x and having the following problem. When I run the installer, it appears to go well. But then the application runs and there are obviously problems. It tries to load, shows these errors and then exits.
hiya Marmite,

It's not really appropriate, or useful, to post console output in a screenshot... See WineHQ FAQ: 10.1.1 How can I get a debugging log (a.k.a. terminal output)?

Screenshots are only useful for programs that run - but with graphical glitches.

But how do I get a console log file in my X-Windows clipboard... So that I can post it on this forum - using forum

Code: Select all

Code
tags?? You might very well ask...

Then use something like:

cat /tmp/output.txt | xclip -i -selection clipboard
Then the console log file will be pasteable in your Web browser.

Please remember to use forum

Code
tags around this block!!

Ta
Bob
qwertymnb
Level 4
Level 4

Post by qwertymnb »

Hi, I downloaded the trial fro http://www.motortradersassistant.co.uk/free_trial.html

I got it starting with native .net en installing jet40.

winetricks dotnet452
winetricks jet40

should do the trick i think ( i`m not 100% sure what version of .net i`ve installed here; if things don`t work out you might try winetricks dotnet40 instead of dotnet452)
Marmite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Marmite »

My first problem seems to be that most of the packages Winetricks wants to install are not 64-bit compatible.

I think I need to start again with a fresh install of Wine etc.
Marmite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Marmite »

@qwertymnb Thank you so much for taking the time to do this for me. I really appreciate your efforts.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Marmite wrote:My first problem seems to be that most of the packages Winetricks wants to install are not 64-bit compatible.

I think I need to start again with a fresh install of Wine etc.
You just need to setup a 32-bit WINEPREFIX - see WineHQ FAQ: 6.5.3 How do I create a 32 bit wineprefix on a 64 bit system?

No need to re-install wine! 8)

Bob
Marmite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Marmite »

Bob Wya wrote:
Marmite wrote:I am new to Wine and trying to get MTA v3 (Motor Traders Assistant) to run on Wine v2.x and having the following problem. When I run the installer, it appears to go well. But then the application runs and there are obviously problems. It tries to load, shows these errors and then exits.
hiya Marmite,

It's not really appropriate, or useful, to post console output in a screenshot... See WineHQ FAQ: 10.1.1 How can I get a debugging log (a.k.a. terminal output)?

Screenshots are only useful for programs that run - but with graphical glitches.

But how do I get a console log file in my X-Windows clipboard... So that I can post it on this forum - using forum

Code
tags?? You might very well ask...

Then use something like:

cat /tmp/output.txt | xclip -i -selection clipboard
Then the console log file will be pasteable in your Web browser.

Please remember to use forum

Code
tags around this block!!

Ta
Bob
Marmite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Marmite »

Sorry guys, I must have posted the above in error late last night.
Marmite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Marmite »

I took your advice and didn't start again with Wine, but I did remove the Wine virtual Windows installation...

cd
rm -rf .wine 
Then I removed the menu entries..

rm -f ~/.config/menus/applications-merged/wine*
rm -rf ~/.local/share/applications/wine
rm -f ~/.local/share/desktop-directories/wine*
rm -f ~/.local/share/icons/????_*.{xpm,png}
rm -f ~/.local/share/icons/*-x-wine-*.{xpm,png} }}}
I then re-set the correct prefix...

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winecfg 
Finally I installed .Net 4.5.2

winetricks dotnet452
It ran for a helluva long time, imported umpteen versions of dot.net etc., and with all those different licences I had to agree I had read -- which I hadn't of course -- it reminded me why I hate Microsoft so much. But eventually, it seemed to be happy and liked what it had done.

Then I used Wine on the MTA installer to setup MTA and everything seemed to work fine with the install...

wine MTAv3setup.exe
Finally I used the menu item the installer had made to run MTA itself but again it ran, only this time it exited after just one single error message ...

Retrieving the COM class factory for compnent with CLSID {00000100-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4} failed due to the following error : 80040154.
Then I click on OK button and MTA abended and disappeared. A subsequent attempt to start it produced the same result.

Just out of curiosity, I then used wine to install the WinSCP FTP client, and Wine had no problem at all running the installer or the program afterwards.

So, it just seems to be something that MTA is doing, or needs, which is causing the problem.

Any ideas about that error message?
Marmite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Marmite »

Also, I just noticed it installed most, but not all of the dotnet versions.

It installed 20sp1 then 30sp1 all the way to dotnet452, but it left out dotnet35sp1 for some reason.

Could that have a bearing on the issue? Should I have Winetricks install 35sp1?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Marmite wrote:Also, I just noticed it installed most, but not all of the dotnet versions.

It installed 20sp1 then 30sp1 all the way to dotnet452, but it left out dotnet35sp1 for some reason.

Could that have a bearing on the issue? Should I have Winetricks install 35sp1?
I can confirm your program runs in a 32-bit WINEPREFIX.

You need:

winetricks dotnet20sp2 jet40
Remember (!!):

winetricks jet40
It's always best to check the precise version of the .Net framework a program is built against.
This is probably best done by removing the builtin Wine Mono (which will only work for basic .Net applications - version 2.0):

winetricks remove_mono
Then re-running your application - which usually pops up a dialog box to tell you exactly what .Net framework version it was built against!

Bob
Marmite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Marmite »

OK, that's it -- you're a mofo genius private Gump!!!

Mono wasn't installed, by the way.

Wonderful, I can't thank you enough. :-) <-- big grin.
Marmite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Marmite »

Still having problems so in the end I gave up and installed Oracle VM VirtualBox which ran flawlessly from the initial install and still is, even though it is in daily use. I guess it just proves that some programs work better in other kinds of virtualisation. Thanks anyway for all your help guys.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Marmite wrote:Still having problems so in the end I gave up and installed Oracle VM VirtualBox which ran flawlessly from the initial install and still is, even though it is in daily use. I guess it just proves that some programs work better in other kinds of virtualisation. Thanks anyway for all your help guys.
Np.

Just so you are aware applications which link against MS .Net Frameworks tend to be hard to support under Wine - especially the new 4.x series.
It's sort-of-like an anti-portability layer... Or a "special portability layer" - for running your application on MS Windows or errrmm... MS Windows!! :wink:

I would file a WineHQ bug for your issue.

If an application runs - but has minor glitches... A simple stub patch, etc. to Wine may be all that is required...
If Wine Developers can download a trial version, of the Windows application, and replicate the issue - then it can be fixed in a matter of days...

Bob