Photodex Producer in Wine

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Mr Edd
Level 1
Level 1

Photodex Producer in Wine

Post by Mr Edd »

Hi Guys

Newbie here.
I have been an avid user of Photodex Producer for years and in the last 12 months converted my laptop to Linux Mint which I am becoming an avid user if it too. I just installed Producer through Wine and it went in very well and runs well too. The issue I have is... The wine window is a bit smaller than my monitor size and cannot be enlarged. As a consequence, I can't see all the features and buttons on Producer.

Is there any way I can increase the size of the Wine window and also the resolution as Producer requires a minimum of 1024x768 to display the text and finer details.

I am on a laptop which I prefer as I can carry around to work on projects rather than be tethered to a PC

Thanks in advance

Edd
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Photodex Producer in Wine

Post by Bob Wya »

Hiya Edd,

Having tested the application myself (the 15 day trial)...
Interesting I'm finding that it's not stable on my system.
I have no issues resizing the ProShow Producer application - before I get a crash dump that is!
Tested with the latest Wine Staging Git (SHA1 8caca32d0818cab757a727609f4a4129b9df9b9c - not the master).
Using a 32-bit WINEPREFIX with the Wine Windows version set to Windows XP
  • Are you using a Wine Virtual Desktop?
  • What version of Wine are you testing?

Code: Select all

wine --version
  • What version of ProShow Producer are you testing?
  • Is the application stable when you change between the main operation mode tabs? (I.e. just mousing around the GUI elements - not doing anything much)
  • Do you have GPU acceleration and DirectDraw enabled in the application?
Ta
Bob
Mr Edd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mr Edd »

Thanks for your comment.

I have wine set to Win 7. I shall try XP tomorrow. I am using the latest version Producer. It seems very stable in the Wine window, if I maximise it I can't see all the buttons inside the window, so difficult to operate it.

I am very new to Wine so not sure what you mean by Wine staging and that long number. I'm not sure of what you mean by a Wine Virtual Desktop.sorry about all the stupid questions. Edd
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Mr Edd wrote:Thanks for your comment.

I have wine set to Win 7. I shall try XP tomorrow. I am using the latest version Producer. It seems very stable in the Wine window, if I maximise it I can't see all the buttons inside the window, so difficult to operate it.

I am very new to Wine so not sure what you mean by Wine staging and that long number. I'm not sure of what you mean by a Wine Virtual Desktop.sorry about all the stupid questions. Edd
Hiya Mr Edd,

Didn't mean to bamboozle you with too much information!

Hmmm. You can attach a screenshot to the forum thread (see Upload attachment box under the main forum Post a reply box) - if you think that would "explain" your issue better!
That's not normally very useful - but for UI-related issues it can be!

There could be a (possibly intermittent) bug in Wine - that's stopping the application working correctly on my system...
This might be related to the fact that the ProShow Producer executable is opening up multiple named pipes to a Windows ffmpeg binary.

tl;dr it would be useful to get some additional information (additional - to the stuff I already asked for) about your system:
  • graphics card/driver version?
  • what Desktop Environment are you using?
8)

Ta
Bob
Mr Edd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mr Edd »

Thank you. I am on my Kindle at moment so will respond with more detail later today.

Thanks again.

Edd
Mr Edd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mr Edd »

Now on my Mint laptop... Attached are three screen shots of what is happening. I haven't as yet tried it in an XP version but will later I am using a Win 7 version.
The Wine version is Wine 1.6.2
I am using Mint Sarah Cinnamon with all the latest updates. I have not updated the Kernals since I built the machine, but I don't think that is contributing to the issue.

I can use Producer within the window and all seems to be working fine, just that I can't see all the buttons and options within the small window.

Really appreciate your time on this.

Edd
Mr Edd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mr Edd »

I also have an issue with registering Producer in Wine. I get Invalid Key error messages. Yet I installed it on one of my Win 10 machines and it went okey even with the same key in the same version of Producer.

Strange???

Edd
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Mr Edd wrote:Now on my Mint laptop... Attached are three screen shots of what is happening. I haven't as yet tried it in an XP version but will later I am using a Win 7 version.
The Wine version is Wine 1.6.2
I am using Mint Sarah Cinnamon with all the latest updates. I have not updated the Kernals since I built the machine, but I don't think that is contributing to the issue.
That version of Wine is obsolete - the latest release is 2.3. Wine version 1.6.2 was released Fri Jan 10 21:37:29 2014 +0100. Yes - over 3 years ago.
So that version of Wine is no longer supported - in any official fashion.

You'll need to test with a newer Ubuntu release - see WineHQ: Ubuntu for installation instructions.

Your kernel version (4.4.x I guess - for Ubuntu 16.04) should be fine.

Re: your graphics card, what's the output from:

Code: Select all

glxinfo | grep OpenGL
??

Try re-attaching your application screenshot - but make sure the file size <200Kb (forum limit).
Any kind of basic Gimp retouching (smaller resolution, reducing the colour space, etc.) will allow you to do this!

Bob