Can WINE run on ARM and if so are there limitations?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

Can WINE run on ARM and if so are there limitations?

Post by juntjoo »

Just recently considering moving from my laptop to a tablet so along with researching installing Linux on Android/arm devices I'm trying to figure out how WINE can work also on tablets or just ARM devices in general. My laptop just broke and I have plenty of ARM devices lying around.

Or would I be better off just limiting myself to x86 tablets? I think there aren't as many tho and they are more expensive. Pls share any info you have...
dimesio

Re: Can WINE run on ARM and if so are there limitations?

Post by dimesio »

juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juntjoo »

What does that page mean in layman's terms? I would like to run desktop apps like MS office through wine on an ARM device. Is this possible now or near future? Are there other pages on this subject? Thanks
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Short answer: no.

Wine does not do CPU emulation, and will never be able to simply run x86 apps on ARM. There have been experiments with using QEMU in conjunction with Wine on ARM, and some simple apps have been able to run. But that was with a great deal of difficulty, and it is not supported here.

Codeweavers has been able to get MS Office to run on Intel-based Chromebooks and Android tablets. https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-android
juntjoo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juntjoo »

I think that codeweavers thing is making what's already possible possible under a weird circumstance: where the interface is Android, right? I guess that's a solution for someone with an x86 computer running a mobile OS. If I'd need to get an x86 computer then I wouldn't go the unecessary steps of getting a mobile OS and then this convertor/emulator/whatever. I'd just get a regular laptop/desktop and install windows or Linux. I guess I'm jist not familiar with these Chromebooks. Why do they use x86 systems underneath? Isn't Android made for ARM?

Well anyway, back to the subject, no WINE on ARM. I've found some smaller devices that run Windows and Linux tho.