[proposal] a user friendly script and UI for Wine

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
wildtux
Level 3
Level 3

[proposal] a user friendly script and UI for Wine

Post by wildtux »

I'm a long time Wine user. Since I left Windows in 2004, I spend many time to try make working MS app on Linux, there's some tools like playonlinux that in some ways are very good, but from my point, it's a bit heavy. Thus, WineHQ is mostly my very good friend.

There's so many tricks and tips, and each users have its way to do and explain them to make an app or a game working. I've wish for a simple script that never come to make my life easier with Wine. Since I'm scripting now, not for a very long time, I had the idea to make one by my self.
I wished something easy to use and understand by everyone with the much as possible tricks I could put in it, and finally, I did it.

It worked great, beyond my wish, so I decided to upload it on github to share it. https://github.com/wildtruc/winestart the first version is at very basic state. It evolve since, very much.

But (the big 'but'), I realize since that most users a more comfortable with an UI and that why I'm here today.

The script is very basic. It use a config per apps stored in hidden user dir, all based on the same model and user just have to change features and tricks pick from WineHQ. it use Winetrick for dlls et *pouf*, just start.

I start to wrote an UI for it, but I'm afraid to miss some essential features and need user and/or bashers help to make it the best as possible.
The UI use Zenity fork, YAD. It's very powerful. And I really like you to test it.
At this the UI produce nothing , except a desktop file entry (if you have the right config and soft o_*), I really like you to talk with me about it. Tell me what to add, modify, maybe replace.

I upload it and the new version of my bash script today hoping you will be interested. Cheers !!
wildtux
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [proposal] a user friendly script and UI for Wine

Post by wildtux »

I answer to myself... Forgot to push change on git. Done now. :mrgreen:
wildtux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wildtux »

Hi there!

Wasn't really expected because it was just at the start an experience, but the UI is finally there and working.
You can download it and test on the github repo.

The real interest of the script is that you can use the per app conf file without the UI, because the UI is only there to manage the conf file.

What can it do? Well...
  • Create and configure a basic Wine bottle
    Configure a custom Wine binaries directory and download it from PlayOnLinux repo.
    Install Winestricks packages
    Create and configure a Wine registry
    Install a MS software.
    Create or modify a desktop file entry
    Configure Nvidia apps environment options
    Configure Xrandr behaviour
    Set Optimus Bumblebee/Primusrun variables
There was many bug and some coming directly from YAD.

It could do more, so give a little hand if you can. Especially if you're a MAC user, I'm not!
wildtux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wildtux »

Script updated to v0.92

See Change log at https://github.com/wildtruc/winestart/b ... /README.md
Script can manage 64 bits install now (local and custom Wine).
Will probably add a tab for Wine specific option as -opengl, WINEDEBUG, and other in a near future.
wildtux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wildtux »

Script updated to v0.97

After realized that the Makefile was only nicely working on my desktop, I fixed it to get proper privileges for end user (yes, I'm a bit shamed).
- Added new csmt feature to reg.
- Added first extended features like apps command line arguments, user script install.

Some other extended things will come shortly, like system reg, open file with local software.

I fully understand that some of you did try to test and nothing was working. I apology for this. Remove all and try again.
But please, if something going wrong, tell me. I spend many time to track bugs by myself. I still learning.

Don't forget this script is for you and me. You can point on unuseful things, some others to add. Help to fix help tips if I'm wrong with it or if my english is not correct, etc.

This script is dedicated to WINEHQ users, it just intend to make your life easiest, I'm just a user like you are so, help. :D
wildtux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wildtux »

Last version 0.99.2

Complete rewrite because script became bigger and bigger. It does many many things and stay user friendly more as a Wine extension than a Wine platform.

Last version, means maybe the very last, my Wine knowledge come to its end and I can't do everything I want to do (winedebug stay a mystery for me), and also, because no help comes. There maybe still some bugs and I will fix them till I find them (not enough software to test)

Github is great place to share knowledge ans ideas and I still hope people to understand the very sens of my project.
wildtux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wildtux »

git repos update 0.99.7

Many bug fixes ans code rewrite for better performances.

Can work now standalone, without any Wine version installed in the system. Better to have one, because of dependencies (would figure out how to manage this in the future).

Start with Wine windowed mode at max screen resolution (black background) by default (option can be uncheck), it improve full screen graphic performances and allow to launch third party application without more tricks.

And more...

Manage now all Wine packages:
  • - WineHQ staging repo for version above 2.4
    - WineHQ staging old repo for version from 1.8 to 2.4
    - PoL repos for Wine version below 1.8.6
All versions (except PoL) are taken from Fedora WinHQ repos, they're more independent when extracted with rpmcpio. Need to check if they are fine for all distros (feedback?!).

Thanks for your participation to this experiment :wink: , suers come slowly, but surely.
wildtux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wildtux »

Please refer now to new thread for messagse and new updates:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30075&p=115045#p115045
zephar123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zephar123 »

Looks really interesting. I would like to see a script that installs what is most common to work well for the base of wine for that matter. I will look into this deeper and will be subscribing to this thread.