VRC fails to load under Wine 2.0, works under 1.8.x

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
mgjani
Level 1
Level 1

VRC fails to load under Wine 2.0, works under 1.8.x

Post by mgjani »

Virtual Radar Client (VRC) had worked with all version of wine 1.8.x, but now fails to load correctly under wine 2.0.

When attempting to start the application, no error messages are produced, but the application complains that it cannot find its configuration file and proceeds to open its original dialog with none of the information that would normally be read from the config file. Running VRC from the correct directory has no effect, nor does using a launcher with the working directory specified.

Anyone seen anything like this before, or know of a way to change the behavior?
mgjani
Level 1
Level 1

Re: VRC fails to load under Wine 2.0, works under 1.8.x

Post by mgjani »

A followup -- this same behavior appears in Dungeons and Dragons Online (DDO). In the case of DDO, however, a default configuration is written so we can see where it thinks it should be. It is writing the config file to "/home/user/DDO" instead of "/home/user/Documents/DDO". "My Documents" from the Wine side is a symolic link to "/home/user/Documents" so I can't figure why it would leave off that one directory.

Hopefully someone can at least confirm I'm not the only one seeing this.
mgjani
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mgjani »

Found it. After upgrading to Wine-2.0, running winecfg on each of my prefixes is clearing prior settings in Desktop Integration. All item settings except "Pictures" are being reset to "$HOME" upon the first run of winecfg to update the prefix. They seem to be preserved once corrected, so I imagine is only occurs during a run of winecfg.

Hopefully that information is useful to someone. Thanks.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

mgjani
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mgjani »

DarkShadow44 wrote:Sound like https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=22974
I agree. It sounds like the same thing. It's easily correctable after-the-fact, but would be nice if the problem didn't appear at all.
Andwine

Post by Andwine »

Hi!

It didn't work for me to only clear a setting? Should I try to reinstall? Do you it it can help?