Memory leaks with World of Warcraft

Questions about Wine on Linux
redst

Memory leaks with World of Warcraft

Post by redst »

I've been playing World of Warcraft 3.3.5a with wine for a while, and yesterday, for the first time ever I got a crash message saying the program ran out of memory. I went and checked and other WoW processes were consuming up to 1100M of memory, for reference: WoW under windows hardly ever goes above 400M. I went ahead and made some tests
  1. 1. Before login, the process consumes about 170M in wine and 110M in windows
    2. On both systems it nearly doubles after login
    3. In wine, however, logging out and back on, or reloading the interface increases the memory usage by 5-10M every time
    4. There isn't any periodical drecrease on memory usage under wine (it somewhat fluctuates under windows)
I measured the resident memory under wine (as reported in number of pages in /proc/.../statm) every 0.5s and it was quite conclusive
graph.png
I've observed this leak in two computers, both running Arch with amd gpus, one with wine 2.0 and the other 1.9, same results.
The tests under windows and wine ran with the same wow settiings, namely low graphic settings and using the opengl gxApi

I might have to compile wine with valgrind later, but in the meantime, is there any way to spot where the leak is?
kaimon
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Memory leaks with World of Warcraft

Post by kaimon »

I'm also experiencing this: I've 12 GB RAM, where the system might need 4 GB, and WOW eats the rest and 8 GB of swap. I've used wine 2.0 but I'm testing different wine versions now.
Johangedo

Post by Johangedo »

16 GB of RAM here and I am experiencing the same issue... on Windows WOW works fine with 8 GB :/

Did you have any luck with other versions?
Synchronyme

Post by Synchronyme »

Just to confirm I have the exact same problem (8GB of RAM with Archlinux and wine 2.7) : World of Warcraft was running fine until patch 7.2. Now about every 20 minutes the game crashes with a memory leak error message.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

One of you should file a bug.
wildtux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wildtux »

Not the only game. It's happens by time in FFXIV.
It seems that Wine give priority to RAM in place of GC RAM for texture etc. when running in 32bits bottle. Then, when overloaded, it leak to SWAP. Not good.
The work-around (if any) would be to give priority to GC RAM, then leaks to RAM if more needed.
It looks also better to run a game in a 64bits bottle than a 32bits one. Since I'm doing that, I just experienced one memory leak.