Emulate Windows NATIVE Firewall

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
wineink
Level 2
Level 2

Emulate Windows NATIVE Firewall

Post by wineink »

Hi.

I've been trying to activate my license for Newtek Lightwave 2015 through WINE for quite awhile now. Unfortunately, up to this point I've been unsuccessful so I've been dual-booting. I purchased my license after Newtek stopped requiring a hardware dongle to activate the program. Back in the day, when Lightwave required a dongle, there existed some tutorials on how to install the appropriate drivers from within WINE to get the dongle to be recognized but I haven't been able to find anything related to getting Lightwave to work with their new drag and drop license verification sans dongle.

Old tutorial requiring the depreciated dongle:
https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/ ... twave-100-

While trying to figure out why Lightwave can't see my license I stumbled across a post in NewTek's forums (that I can't seem to find again) that said Windows Firewall HAS TO BE ON for Lightwave to properly activate.

So I tried "activating" Windows' firewall from withing WINE by doing this:
$wine Rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection Ndi-Steelhead 132 %windir%\inf\netrass.inf
$wine Netsh firewall reset
(from this post: http://superuser.com/questions/385662/h ... ts-service)
No luck there either. I followed the other method from the above link too but no go.

Is there a way to fake the firewall? I've contacted Newtek's customer support regarding installing Lightwave on WINE and they said they're working on something, however there's nothing publicly available yet...

Thanks in advance.
Babylon77

Re: Emulate Windows NATIVE Firewall

Post by Babylon77 »

Hi,

I have got same problem. Does anyone face off this problem successfully? Lightwave tried to modify some rules that permit programs to access local resources. I cannot emulate these rules using iptables.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

AFAIK firewall currently that's simply not supported in WINE. But I I don't understand why the firewall would have to be on for it to work. You can test on windows if that's true though.
wineink
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wineink »

DarkShadow44 wrote:AFAIK firewall currently that's simply not supported in WINE. But I I don't understand why the firewall would have to be on for it to work. You can test on windows if that's true though.
The native Windows firewall isn't supported in Wine and that's the problem. Lightwave activates itself through the Windows firewall so without a workaround, there's no way to legally register and activate Lightwave in Linux which forces those of us that use Lightwave to dual boot. So the original post was made in hopes that someone knew a workaround (or even better, that developers might implement whatever rules are necessary here to get legally purchased software to activate under wine).
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Let's continue the discussion at the new topic at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30847