Help for Red Hat Enterpirise Linux

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
parvarora

Post by parvarora »

Hello friends,

I m new user to Wine. However I have not yet installed it. I m working on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client Version 5.0 . I wanted to work with Wine and had downloaded wine installation files under folder 'i386' . First of all I tried to install 'wine-0.9.54-1.i386.rpm' it was not installed due to reason that dependencies were not installed. Then I downloaded all the dependencies as reported in the message. But when I tried to install 'wine-core-0.9.54-1.el.i386.rpm' the password for root was invalidated. I was surprised that how my password for root has changed by itself. Earlier my password was 'redhat' , but now I m unable to login with this password to root. I hope u understand that how serious is my problem. I m new user to Linux. Please help. If u need some more information to solve my problem, please ask for same. Also if u think that some other expert would be of help, please advise. Thanks in anticipation.
Marcel W. Wysocki

Post by Marcel W. Wysocki »

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 09:57:40 -0500
"parvarora" <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello friends,

I m new user to Wine. However I have not yet installed it. I m working on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client Version 5.0 . I wanted to work with Wine and had downloaded wine installation files under folder 'i386' . First of all I tried to install 'wine-0.9.54-1.i386.rpm' it was not installed due to reason that dependencies were not installed. Then I downloaded all the dependencies as reported in the message. But when I tried to install 'wine-core-0.9.54-1.el.i386.rpm' the password for root was invalidated. I was surprised that how my password for root has changed by itself. Earlier my password was 'redhat' , but now I m unable to login with this password to root. I hope u understand that how serious is my problem. I m new user to Linux. Please help. If u need some more information to solve my problem, please ask for same. Also if u think that some other expert would be of help, please advise. Thanks in anticipation.
the wine rpm package did certainly not change your root password.
perhaps your system was compromised

btw, id recommend to use yum to install wine, its easier than getting all the dependencies by yourself

to recover the password you could boot a livecd, chroot into your current installation and change the password.

--
Marcel W. Wysocki <[email protected]>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 197 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-us ... chment.pgp
Hugo Cardozo

Post by Hugo Cardozo »

El Miércoles, 19 de Marzo de 2008 10:57, parvarora escribió:
Hello friends,

I m new user to Wine. However I have not yet installed it. I m
working on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client Version 5.0 . I wanted to work
with Wine and had downloaded wine installation files under folder 'i386' .
First of all I tried to install 'wine-0.9.54-1.i386.rpm' it was not
installed due to reason that dependencies were not installed. Then I
downloaded all the dependencies as reported in the message. But when I
tried to install 'wine-core-0.9.54-1.el.i386.rpm' the password for root was
invalidated. I was surprised that how my password for root has changed by
itself. Earlier my password was 'redhat' , but now I m unable to login with
this password to root. I hope u understand that how serious is my problem.
I m new user to Linux. Please help. If u need some more information to
solve my problem, please ask for same. Also if u think that some other
expert would be of help, please advise. Thanks in anticipation.
Are you sure you just press "CapsLock" when entering your password? Remember,
in GNU/Linux, passwords are case sensitive.
And, BTW, NEVER reveal your root password!

Hugo S.
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

parvarora wrote:
Hello friends,

1. Wine will NEVER change any password on your system.
2. It is POOR security to reveal ANY password on ANY system on the
Internet. You never know who is listening, sniffing or just who is on
this list/forum.

Now, go change your root password, never LOGIN as root, ever, ever,
ever. Sudo and su - are YOUR FRIENDS.

James McKenzie
ShellyCat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ShellyCat »

By way of explanation (because you identified yourself as new to Linux):

Linux is different from Windows in that it is a multi-user system. (If anyone ever told you Windows was a multi-user system, they are clueless.) In Windows you can only be logged on as one user at a time. In Linux you can open multiple shells (or "terminals" from the desktop) and log in multiple times.

Although you hear admonitions to not log in as "Administrator" to Windows on a daily basis, it's a pain in the but when you are in the middle of a project and realize you have to log out, log back on as Admin, download and install your software, log out, log in as normal user, and start all over, isn't it?

In Linux, you don't need to do all that!

All Linux systems have the ability to "su" -- to change to the "superuser" (known as "root"). If you enter the "su" command you will be prompted for the root user's password. Logout when you are done and you are dumped back to your regular priveleges!

Most Linux distributions also come with the "sudo" program. This is the ability to run a specific command with root privileges but not stay logged in as the root user at all (even safer). You enter the "sudo" command followed by a space and your desired command with all its options like you normally would. It will ask you for the root password before it runs the command with elevated privleges.

For information on creating a user, read the manual page ("man page") for "useradd":
man useradd | less

"less" is a pager that allows you to move forward and back through command output using keyboard arrows and Home, PgUp, PgDn, and End buttons.

That character before it is a pipe, which is located on the same key as the backslash on the right-hand side of your keyboard. A pipe takes the output of one command and inputs it to another.

(And if I told you stuff you already knew, please excuse me. :wink: )
vitamin

Re: Help for Red Hat Enterpirise Linux

Post by vitamin »

parvarora, in case you didn't get the drift yet - this is the wrong place for such questions. You got RedHat Linux - ask them how to use it. Installing packages and configuring your system is not what we help with here. But with _USING_ Wine.