Wine creates impossibly small dialogs in some cases

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
jdh

Wine creates impossibly small dialogs in some cases

Post by jdh »

Wine Version: wine-1.9.20 (wine-devel)

I first noticed this issue while trying to install Star Trek Armada 2. I ran the game's setup.exe and it appeared to start correctly, but then displayed a dialog that was only a few pixels high by a few pixels wide and I was not able to take any further action except tap the escape key until I was back on my desktop again. I then ran winecfg which also displayed a similarly sized dialog. Next I deleted my wine prefix and recreated it by running winecfg. From then on the winecfg window displayed properly. However, the game's installer still displays the really small dialog. I remembered that there were certain games that I needed a 32 bit wine prefix for so I created one and attempted to run the game with that, but the issue with the game's installer remains and with the 32 bit wine prefix winecfg also displays an impossibly small dialog. I'm posting here hoping that someone else has experienced this issue before and knows what to do. I have attached some photos hoping that they help explain what I mean.

Thank you.
Attachments
Shows Armada 2 installer with small dialog window in the center of the screen.
Shows Armada 2 installer with small dialog window in the center of the screen.
Armada2_Small_Dialog.png (21.6 KiB) Viewed 1707 times
Shows winecfg small dialog window in the upper left corner of the screen.
Shows winecfg small dialog window in the upper left corner of the screen.
Emdzej
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Wine creates impossibly small dialogs in some cases

Post by Emdzej »

Hi :)
Try doing that:
1. Try installing MS Fonts
2. If ms fonts are installed try installing corefonts via winetricks
3. Install via winetricks vcrun6 and vcrun2005 vcrun2008
4. Emulate virtual desktop
5. Check - https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... n&iId=2115