wine64 and different WINEARCH values

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
vcunat

wine64 and different WINEARCH values

Post by vcunat »

Hi. I want to run a 32-bit app in wine64. It works with WINEARCH=win32 but it doesn't with WINEARCH=win64 (or unset). Can you explain the difference? Or point into a direction I should explore?

Background: my motivation is to test a 64-bit windows program that calls soffice.exe to convert documents. It is done on Linux, but as I want to test an EXE, I'm using Win versions of libreoffice. I couldn't make 64-bit libreoffice work at all under wine. 32-bit works, but not with 64-bit WINEARCH, which seems strange. And of course, I can't run the app to be tested with 32-bit WINEARCH...
dimesio

Re: wine64 and different WINEARCH values

Post by dimesio »

WINEARCH is used to set the architecture of the wineprefix at the time of creation. You cannot change the architecture of an existing wineprefix, so if that's what you've been trying to do, that's why it doesn't work.

Second, you need a WoW64 setup to run 32 bit apps in a 64 bit wineprefix. Are you sure you have that? What distro are you on and where did you get Wine from?

If it's not either of those possibilities,, then you need to explain more clearly exactly what is going wrong with 32 bit LibreOffice in a 64 bit wineprefix, including posting terminal output. Make sure you test a clean wineprefix in the current development release.
vcunat

Post by vcunat »

I was using WoW64 of staging wine 1.9.7. It's packaged by an unusual distribution (NixOS). And I used a clean WINEPREFIX just for this.

But now I can't reliably reproduce the difference with a small test case. I'll see if I can improve that and re-ask below. Thanks.
vcunat

Post by vcunat »

I gave up on this and instead run a linux version of libreoffice from within wine. That way one isn't able to wait for the process in a standard way, but that can be hacked around and overall it seems to work well.