Trying to run a 64-bit .Net executable

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
XenonofArcticus

Trying to run a 64-bit .Net executable

Post by XenonofArcticus »

I'm running wine-1.9.8 on Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela 64-bit.

I have a compute-heavy 64-bit .Net app (COTS commercial, closed source, I have no source access) I would like to run on AWS Linux servers rather than spinning up and maintaining Windows servers for. It's a command-line app, so I was hoping that Wine had complete enough APIs to support it. It doesn't even have to be as fast as on real Windows, as long as it works.

I was trying to run it under Wine but haven't had much success. The app requires Win7 or newer, I believe. I created a fresh clean Win64 wineprefix and set the OS version to Win7.

If I run "file" on the exe, it shows:

Code: Select all

foo.exe: PE32+ executable (console) x86-64 Mono/.Net assembly, for MS Windows
Running it under Wine results in:

Code: Select all

err:process:start_process L"foo.exe" doesn't have an entry point, it cannot be executed
I tried uninstalling mono and installing .Net 4.5.2 with winetricks, but it tries to install .Net 2 and such first and .net 2 won't install on 64-bit Wine.

I'm not a .Net expert, so I'm trying to figure out what environment I need to configure in order to make this run.

It also launches a 32-bit process as part of the work it does (it's a big data conversion/processing tool). The 32-bit exe identifies as:
bar.exe: PE32 executable (console) Intel 80386 Mono/.Net assembly, for MS Windows

I was able to get bar.exe to try to run by just saying
win bar.exe

So, do I have any hope of getting these working? I've been looking at the FAQ and stuff I found on Google, but I can't see the step I'm missing.

All advice appreciated?
dimesio

Re: Trying to run a 64-bit .Net executable

Post by dimesio »

64 bit .NET does not install or work in Wine.