Where is Wine 64-bit Support?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
oldefoxx
Level 2
Level 2

Where is Wine 64-bit Support?

Post by oldefoxx »

All this emphasis on 32-bit support is crazy. We've been 64-bit for over a decade, and the only mention of 64-bit seems to be on how to enable 32-bit Wine if you have a 64-bit PC and OS.

I can't find one set of detailed instructions on how to download, install, configure a 64-bit version of Wine anywhere. The most recent version via the Ubuntu Repositories is 32-bit. Even Oracle's Version 5.0 Virtalbox is still fixed at 32-bits.

The need for 64-bits is there and growing. Nobody writes 32-bit code any more. That need is no longer there. I have five old machines, 3 over ten years old, and they are all 64-bits. Get real. Chrome is no longer 32-bits, and Slimjet will soon drop 32-bit because it is losing access to the latest and greatest libraries that are now all 64 bits.

People want out of Windows. It's insecure and fundamentally flawed, and a prime target for hackers. It costs money, and is years late in getting upgrades to market, as these are all held back for the next major release tha you have to pay for and is limited to one PC. in practice, Mixrosoft alows up to 6 (sometimes only 3) activations of product keys, but you can use the Windows Toolbox and get it activated without a product key. But why bother? It's junk software, designed for glitz anf glitter.

The only area Windows dominates in is games. There is no real, or at least no paying, market for games with Linux. With Wine, the emphasis has been on getting Window's games to run on other platforms. usually some spin-off of Unix, such as the various distros of Linux or the Macos X. I even chanced onto Rocket today that is free and out to outdo Windows.

But there are other packages only available for Windows, such as Embird. My wife loves and bought Enbird and has Embird 64. There are artilcles, posts, and videos of Embird working under Wine 64, so I know there is a 64-bit version of Wine, and could even see "64" flash by as it was downloaded and installed. But the configuration stops at Win XP, which is 32-bit. That's crazy.

Yes, I understand that 32-bit and 64-bit involve different versions of libraries, but that's no different from installing other 32-bit packages alongside 64-bit ones on a 64-bit PCs and sourcig a different set of libraries. The PPA and Registry sources just have to install Wine32 automatically and add Wine64 if the target OS is 64-bit. How hard can that be?

Until then, will someone just lay out the manual steps to get Wine64 installed and set up? And to keep it separate from Wine, which apparently is going to be 32-bits whether I like that or not? A script would be nice, but individual commands would do. And this should not be critical, but I am using Ubuntu 15.10, gnown-session-flashback installed for two gnome-like interfaces, and I use Metacity that comes closest to an ideal interface for any ourpose, unless you love glitz and glitter, which I don't.
dimesio

Re: Where is Wine 64-bit Support?

Post by dimesio »

oldefoxx wrote: I can't find one set of detailed instructions on how to download, install, configure a 64-bit version of Wine anywhere.
Apparently you didn't look very hard. https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

Note that the x86_64 packages will install Wine in a WoW64 setup, which includes both 64 bit Wine and the 32 bit parts needed to run 32 bit Windows apps. It is done this way because that is the way Microsoft did it. Pure 64 bit Wine is not a supported configuration and won't run much of anything.
Gamecard
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Where is Wine 64-bit Support?

Post by Gamecard »

+1 oldefoxx