is wine multi tasking?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
bbunlock
Level 1
Level 1

is wine multi tasking?

Post by bbunlock »

I am sorry if I have missed this info on the site but I did have a good look around and even did a search and found nothing about this.

anyway as the subject title says I was wondering if wine is multi tasking? the reason im asking is that im busy creating a web app on a linux server that will run some small (dos command based) apps and even though it is working fine at the moment I wanted to know if I am going to have problems if it is being used by more than one web visitor at a time?

this is how my web app is going to be working, each app will take only a couple of seconds to complete its task.

for example when the visitor clicks create on the web app the following will happen.

app 1 starts and finishes its work then
app 2 starts and finishes its work then
app 3 starts and finishes its work then
app 4 starts and finishes its work, web app finished.

each app will run one after the other and as I have stated they will only last a couple of seconds, were talking about maybe 10 to 15 seconds in total to complete all tasks.

now what I want to know is will I have a problem if I have say 20 visitors using the web app at the same time? so can anyone confirm for me if that wont be a problem (other than server limits)

one last note thanks for this great app, it has been a great help to me and if I do not have a problem of mulitple visitors running this then I am going to be so happy :D

thanks in advance
L. Rahyen

is wine multi tasking?

Post by L. Rahyen »

On Monday March 17 2008 15:17:00 bbunlock wrote:
anyway as the subject title says I was wondering if wine is multi tasking?
Is Windows "multi tasking" for your particular application? For WINE answer
will be the same as for Windows in this case.
In other words WINE can run as much (Windows) processes simultaneously as
your (Windows or Linux) application can launch.
the reason im asking is that im busy creating a web app on a linux server
that will run some small (dos command based) apps and even though it is
working fine at the moment I wanted to know if I am going to have problems
if it is being used by more than one web visitor at a time?
I'm sorry, but how do you expect an answer to a question about "small apps"?

Only answer I can give to such unspecific question - just test it and see if
it works for you. And if it doesn't feel free to ask for help (but don't
forget to mention what program(s) doesn't work as expected and what exactly
doesn't work).

Thank you for using WINE.
bbunlock
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bbunlock »

Hi L. Rahyen

thanks for the quick reply on this matter, I think you have answered my questions for me so thank you for that, I was just conserned if wine could run more than one windows app at a time and from the what you say then it can.

I will test it as best I can on the server and try running the web app in a few windows at the same time and that should confirm things for me, if I do have problems I will post an update

once again thanks for the responce

regards