Converting 32 bit prefix to 64 ?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
abi
Level 1
Level 1

Converting 32 bit prefix to 64 ?

Post by abi »

I played Wasteland II (DX9 32-bit) game and it runs without any issue. Nowadays, Directors Cut edition was released, and it looks like DX9 64-bit game.
I found no entries about DC edition - maybe everyone on Linux are using native version, so I have no idea how it works under Linux/wine.

The GOG packaging games in 32 installer, so looks like I need wine32 to install the game and wine64 to run it.
I'm on FreeBSD and wow64 is not available yet, so I created 2 prefixes, one for installer, one for unpacked files I copied from the first prefix preserving directory structure.

I got immediate crash on game start (wine64 complained about stacks corruption). Should I report it ? The trick is without wow64 I can't make 'clean experiment' and make additional tests (like if things broken due to move of files between prefixes, missing registry entries) - most installers are indeed 32 bits, but they are complaining about incompatible system before unpacking the files, so I have no other test targets I legally own. :-)

wine64 is a new port for FreeBSD and maybe it's totally broken, so I think I should make more tests. Can you recommend pure 64 programs (with 64 bit installers or, even better -without installer at all) or methods to fake 32 bit installers to thing they are on 64, bit in 32 bit mode. As the crash was immediate, even without any fixme's in console, I suspect that it is not Wasteland-specific.
dimesio

Re: Converting 32 bit prefix to 64 ?

Post by dimesio »

WoW64 is needed for this, and if FreeBSD does not provide it, their packages are broken.
abi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by abi »

It shouldn't be broken completely. As far as I understand, WoW64 glue 64-bit and 32-bit applications, so if 32 bit application found in 64-bit prefix, it can be executed. In FreeBSD, we have 2 wines, one is pure 32-bit (/wine with necessary lib32 libraries), another is 64-bit (wine64 with necessary libs). So, it shouldn't be the problem to run pure 64-bit or 32-bit code. The problem is run software with mixups, like 32-bit installer for 64-bit application.

So, the question is: can I expect that wine without WoW64, but compiled on 64-bit system execute pure 64-bit programs? If yes, I can test such programs and report bugs.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

If you run winecfg in the 64 bit wineprefix, does the Drives tab work?
abi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by abi »

Yes, it opens and shows 2 letters, Z and C. But audio tab is not.
If I click on it

Code: Select all

C:\Games\Wasteland2>wine: Unhandled stack overflow at address 0x7bc53b8f (thread 0037), starting debugger...
The same error blocks Wasteland start.
If I add Audio with empty value, according http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys Audio opens (with sound disabled, ofc).
Audio tab works for 32-bit prefix and 32-bit wine and shows my OSS devices. I think, I'll open PR on FreeBSD bugtracker to verify if the crash is reproducible.