Calc.exe under Wine?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Numsgil

Calc.exe under Wine?

Post by Numsgil »

I'm trying to run the calc.exe from my Windows 7 install on another machine running Ubunutu/Wine. However it seems to crash immediately. Is this something that should work? The Windows calculator isn't exactly bristling with complexity, so I'm surprised it doesn't work. But maybe it's using undocumented function calls in dlls or Microsoft boobytrapped it in some way so it won't work except under Windows. Is there any way to debug it and figure out what's going wrong? Has anyone else gotten calc to work under Wine?

I know there's an open issue to implement a version of calc, but I'm more interested in getting the Windows native version running, if at all possible.
dimesio

Re: Calc.exe under Wine?

Post by dimesio »

Running apps from a Windows install is not supported.
Numsgil

Post by Numsgil »

dimesio wrote:Running apps from a Windows install is not supported.
It's a different machine that doesn't have Windows installed at all. I just copied calc.exe over. Or do you mean running apps pulled from a Windows install isn't supported?

Either way, how do I figure out what's going wrong?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Both. Copying may work for some simple apps, but most apps have to be installed in Wine the same as they would in Windows. In the case of calc.exe, the installer is the Windows installer, and that isn't going to work in Wine.

You could check the Windows registry for any entries needed for calc.exe and import them into the wineprefix's registry. Console output is the other thing to check.

According to the AppDB, the calculator from XP used to work in Wine, so you could try that.