Building wine ENTIRELY FROM SOURCE

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
jgrn

Building wine ENTIRELY FROM SOURCE

Post by jgrn »

Folks: I've been struggling with getting Wine working with a 32-bit command-line executable I need to run (LASTools, for anyone who is interested), and one of the issues is that all of the instructions I've seen so far describe Wine being installed via a package manager. I need to install it, and all of its main dependencies, entirely from scratch. Are there any guides for doing this?
jgrn

Re: Building wine ENTIRELY FROM SOURCE

Post by jgrn »

I will mention that the error I keep getting is:
err:module:import_dll Loading library GLU32.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\pathto\\lasinfo.exe") failed (error c000007b).
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\pathto\\lasinfo.exe" failed, status c0000135

This is executing the program via a:
wine cmd

and then

Z:\\pathto\\lasinfo.exe [some parameters]
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

jgrn wrote: I need to install it, and all of its main dependencies, entirely from scratch. Are there any guides for doing this?
For building Wine, start here: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-719d19c ... c2a301ce52

If you mean you also intend to build all of Wine's dependencies from source, too, then you will have to get build instructions from those projects.

However, your second post indicates you already have Wine installed, so why are you trying to build everything from source?
jgrn

Post by jgrn »

The missing GLU32.dll issue that I'm getting has popped up in other searches for Wine issues, and the fix seems to be via installing other libraries via a package manager -- which I can't do. I suppose I'm asking if anyone has put together a cohesive guide, focuses on Wine, for getting all the dependencies installed from source as well.
L. Rahyen

Post by L. Rahyen »

If you know what libraries you need, you can build them from source instead of installing using package manager. Most libraries have their own guides how to build them from source. Basically, just run "./configure --verbose" in Wine build directory to see what Wine needs, and then you can install each dependency manually from source if you wish. If this is too complicated for you, then I suggest to get a distro which allows you to install all or most dependencies easily (Gentoo may be a good choice if you want to build everything from source).
Arcosanti
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Arcosanti »

I know this is an old thread. This is just for anyone that is having OpenGL problems with Wine and finds this thread via a search engine. Specifically OpenGL dll's not being found, GLU32.DLL for instance. The solution is to install the Windows OpenGL dll's in Wine. Once that has been done then Windows OpenGL apps should work fine providing your Mesa install is also working fine. I have successfully run the old Win95/98 OpenGL screensavers in preview mode quite easily in Wine after installing the Windows OpenGL dll's. I especially liked to see the rat run through the 3D maze screen saver again under Linux.
Border808

Post by Border808 »

There should also be a readme to help compile wine