How to bundle wine with an application?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
MicheleMarcon77

How to bundle wine with an application?

Post by MicheleMarcon77 »

I've build a Windows application and I'd like to distribute it as a bundle with a wine environment so that my customers don't need to install wine. How should I do this?
Thanks!
dimesio

Re: How to bundle wine with an application?

Post by dimesio »

There's no avoiding installing Wine; your way, your users would install your packaged version of Wine along with your app. I believe Teamviewer did that with their Linux port, so you might want to take a look at their packages. https://www.teamviewer.com/hi/help/363- ... aspx#other

You also might want to look at these threads:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8626
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3387
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=754
johnfound
Level 2
Level 2

Post by johnfound »

dimesio wrote:There's no avoiding installing Wine;
No, this is not true. Wine works great without instalation. I happened to make a portable bundle on flash drive and wine can be started directly from there.

IIRC, I downloaded a zip package of WINE from somewhere (PlayOnLinux?) and unpacked it to a ext3 partition on the flash drive. The same can be made on Linux partition, simply copying the target program and wine together on Linux directory, for example in the user Home directory.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

johnfound wrote: No, this is not true. Wine works great without instalation. I happened to make a portable bundle on flash drive and wine can be started directly from there.
Yes; I phrased that badly. Wine can be run from the build directory. The point I was trying to make was simply that the user will still need Wine and all its dependencies, and for users who already have Wine installed for other things, it's a waste of disk space.
johnfound
Level 2
Level 2

Post by johnfound »

dimesio wrote:...and for users who already have Wine installed for other things, it's a waste of disk space.
It is true, but the Linux users, in my impression, don't like to install WINE. It is somehow taboo application. A kind of confession, that they need M$ product. :lol:

Not my opinion, just an observation. :roll: