Why was the support for old versions of Windows removed?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Sworddragon
Level 2
Level 2

Why was the support for old versions of Windows removed?

Post by Sworddragon »

From Wikipedia:
However, Windows 1.x and Windows 2.x support was removed from Wine development version 1.3.12.
Now I'm wondering why the support was removed. Does this also mean that at some point in the future the support for newer versions of Windows will be removed too? What about legacy applications that run only on these versions of Windows?
dimesio

Re: Why was the support for old versions of Windows removed?

Post by dimesio »

There's nothing in the release notes for 1.3.12 about support for old versions of Windows being removed. I just checked winecfg, and Windows 2.0 is still listed for 32 bit wineprefixes. Versions older than XP are not listed for 64 bit wineprefixes because there were no 64 bit versions of Windows prior to XP.
Sworddragon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sworddragon »

dimesio wrote:I just checked winecfg, and Windows 2.0 is still listed for 32 bit wineprefixes.
Wikipedia says about this:
If DOSBox is installed on the system[citation needed] (see below on MS-DOS), Wine development version 1.3.12 and later nevertheless show the "Windows 2.0" option for the Windows version to mimic, but Wine still won't run most Windows 2.0 programs because MS-DOS and Windows functions are not currently integrated.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

but Wine still won't run most Windows 2.0 programs
It probably won't, but I don't know that it ever did. I do remember testing one old app when DOSBox support was first added and being pleasantly surprised to find that the installer, rather than crashing immediately as it formerly had, opened DOSBox just long enough to unpack some files and and then continued smoothly under Wine. So my (admittedly very limited) experience is that DOSBox integration was a definite improvement in support for very old apps, and I'm pretty sure that was the intention.

You can still file bugs for those old apps, so I don't think it's fair to say that they are not supported. However, they are not a priority. This is also true of Windows 9x apps.
Sworddragon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sworddragon »

Ah, now I'm seeing too that Wine 1.3.12 got support for DOSBox. I was just (and still am) confused what the Wikipedia article does mean with the removed support from Wine.
yellow_k

Post by yellow_k »

[color=#EEEEEE]one[/color] wrote:
I am not sure what you mean. If you are asking about the compatibility, Wine still won't run most Windows 2.0 programs
It probably won't, but I don't know that it ever did. I do remember testing one old app when DOSBox support was first added and being pleasantly surprised to find that the installer, rather than crashing immediately as it formerly had, opened DOSBox just long enough to unpack some files and and then continued smoothly under Wine. So my (admittedly very limited) experience is that DOSBox integration was a definite improvement in support for very old apps, and I'm pretty sure that was the intention.

You can still file bugs for those old apps, so I don't think it's fair to say that they are not supported. However, they are not a priority. This is also true of Windows 9x apps.
Hi,
I was looking at your last line, it says "Windows 9x apps." What do you mean by this? Do you mean like windows 98? Because that's pretty outdated and I don't think anybody is still using that?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

yellow_k wrote: I was looking at your last line, it says "Windows 9x apps." What do you mean by this? Do you mean like windows 98? Because that's pretty outdated and I don't think anybody is still using that?
I mean Windows 95 or 98. Lots of people still want to run apps from that era.