Bugzilla: CLOSED DUPLICATE has a better title than original

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
olivierfrdierick
Level 5
Level 5

Bugzilla: CLOSED DUPLICATE has a better title than original

Post by olivierfrdierick »

I reported this bug : Bug 37114 - Steam update 14 Aug 2014 - New internal browser loads indefinitely
And it was marked CLOSED DUPLICATE by the reporter of this bug : Bug 37110 - Steam requires Arial/Times New Roman fonts to open Store/Profile/Community pages

The bug filing guidelines states the following:
Use a summary explaining the bug symptoms and the name and version of the program that displays them, not what you think the problem is, so that:

- Users can find duplicates
- The problem can be marked as solved by checking that the symptom is gone
- The bug remains valid even if your analysis is incorrect
The summary of bug 37110 describe the fix and not the issue that it fixes.
Because of that, it won't show in any search related to the issue of "Steam loading forever".
While I agree that my bug report is not the first, bug 37110 has a summary that does not comply with the guidelines.
For clarity, bug 37110 should be renamed, or if not possible, marked as CLOSED DUPLICATE of bug 37114 and not the other way around.

Should I do something about it?
dimesio

Re: Bugzilla: CLOSED DUPLICATE has a better title than origi

Post by dimesio »

Did installing Arial and/or Times New Roman fix the problem for you? If it did, they are the same bug, and since your bug was filed later than the other one, yours is the one that is the duplicate. As for the description, the original bug does describe the symptom: Store/Profile/Community pages don't open. IMO, that's more precise than "browser loads indefinitely," but really, it's a matter of opinion.

Of course, if installing those fonts didn't fix your issue, then you should say that in the bug and reopen it.
olivierfrdierick
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Bugzilla: CLOSED DUPLICATE has a better title than origi

Post by olivierfrdierick »

The issue was fixed by installing the missing fonts.
The steam store/community/profile/activity/inventory pages/tabs all load/open/not blank.
Search engines are ineffective without the proper keywords.