Diablo I for Wine made easy

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Locked
galaxyhaxz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:33 pm

Diablo I for Wine made easy

Post by galaxyhaxz » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:50 pm

So I recently moved over to Linux. However, Wine had some issues emulating Diablo I. The main menu screen is completely black, although you can hear sound and the actual gameplay works. So I looked up how to fix this, and it required installing an ancient version of Wine and patching it. It took awhile and I figured this was quite annoying every time you do a fresh Linux install.

Finally after reading the tutorial here: http://www.holarse-linuxgaming.de/wiki/diablo
I came up with a more simple and easy fix, that is updated for the current stable version of Wine (1.6.1).

Simply download the file below. Extract ddraw.dll and wined3d.dll into your Diablo I directory. Then run ddraw_renderer.sh and enter diablo.exe for the application and gdi for the rendering mode. That's all; enjoy Diablo I.

It should also maybe work for other older DirectDraw games as well. It works for sure with Diablo's expansion, Hellfire. You need to install the .dlls and then enter the name of the main .exe. Do not use quotes if the .exe has spaces, as they are already included in the ddraw_renderer script (e.g. Frozen Throne.exe).

Also, this is not a permanent solution. The result is somewhat glitchy but makes Diablo I playable. Use this as a temporary fix until the Wine developers discover the real fix.

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/?2jicmwsx88nwsv3

galaxyhaxz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:33 pm

Re: Diablo I for Wine made easy

Post by galaxyhaxz » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:24 pm

Well it seems I can't edit my last post, so I will have to double post this. I updated this DirectDraw hack for the latest version of the unstable Wine (1.7.17). Until this bug is fixed, I will periodically update this patch every month or so for the newest version of Wine. :o

Download for Wine 1.6.1: https://www.mediafire.com/?2jicmwsx88nwsv3
Download for Wine 1.7.17: https://www.mediafire.com/?klkfbyyekq36nen

dumbguy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:08 am

Re: Diablo I for Wine made easy

Post by dumbguy » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:44 am

Hello, I am extremely sorry for not only my noobieness, but also for this huge bump; how would one do this on a Mac? The part I'm specifically confused about is the ddraw_renderer.sh instruction. What needs replacement within the script and how do I execute this in Wineskin?

Again, I'm terribly sorry for my noobiness.

Thank you very much for your time of day.

Take care,
dumbguy

P.S. I have included an image of the script for the possibility of someone maybe circling where I would need to put in the variables ( ie. diablo.exe, gdi, etc.)
Screen Shot 2014-06-28 at 8.40.06 AM.png

User avatar
Rumo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:24 pm

Re: Diablo I for Wine made easy

Post by Rumo » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:36 pm

I played Diablo 1 in Wine almost 8 or so years ago and somehow got it to work that time using patches from bug #2082. They no longer seem to work.

With your (1.7.17) patch, the menu shows up but it's always a still of the "previous page", i.e. if I move the cursor it shows a still image with the cursor on the menu entry selected prior to moving it. It also does not manage to draw the "flame" animation or anything, instead it gives me pixel confetti. That wouldn't be too bad (it beats the black screen by a long shot, with some trial&error you can get into the game now) but the game itself also has some issue with this version of wine, the save file gets corrupted frequently [no cheats].

I'll try with older versions of wine next...

I also found Belzebub some kind of HD mod for Diablo 1 - it shows a great deal of potential but it doesn't seem to be quite ready (yet).
Attachments
diablo.jpg

Locked