An input channel for JACK ?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Le Barde

An input channel for JACK ?

Post by Le Barde »

Hello everybody,

I have installed wine and been using it for long (for example for WoW :D) and everything works very well !
Ok, you'll probably find that strange if I'm coming here and post something, it's a pity it's generally not the use.

Anyway, my problems are :
- I'm French, so that's not as if communicating was so easy ; ;)
- I use the Jack sound server with a microphone, and I still can't use it in WoW. Is it possible ?

Thank you !
Le Barde.
vitamin

Re: An input channel for JACK ?

Post by vitamin »

Le Barde wrote:- I use the Jack sound server with a microphone, and I still can't use it in WoW. Is it possible ?
Use ALSA.
Le Barde

Post by Le Barde »

I am using freebob through Jack, because I'm doing computer music. If freebob works with any way with ALSA, ok, but for now the only way to get sound from my microphone is freebob through jack. And I have not found any way to redirect jack into ALSA.
So my question was a true one in fact, if I'm using Jack it's meant ;)
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

Le Barde wrote:I am using freebob through Jack, because I'm doing computer music. If freebob works with any way with ALSA, ok, but for now the only way to get sound from my microphone is freebob through jack. And I have not found any way to redirect jack into ALSA.
So my question was a true one in fact, if I'm using Jack it's meant ;)
Wine's Jack drive lacks direct sound capture implementation. The only Wine sound drivers that do have it are ALSA and OSS.
Le Barde

Post by Le Barde »

ok, thanks, I'll try and manage to do it if possible ;)
Is it planned to suppport that functionnality ?
billstei
Level 2
Level 2

Post by billstei »

I use WineASIO and I can record audio via Jack->WineASIO->FLStudio for example. Most Windows computer music apps demand ASIO so perhaps that will work for you. WineASIO is not included with Wine, nor can it be, due to license restrictions on the Steinberg ASIO SDK. For the same reason there are no binary packages out there -- you will have to compile it yourself. Get it here and read the README.TXT file:

http://people.jacklab.net/edogawa/files/wineasio

I am not entirely sure that 0.7.3 is better than 0.7.2, it seems a little glitchy sometimes, but YMMV.

Bill
Le Barde

Post by Le Barde »

Ok, thank you very much billstei, I will try as soon as possible :wink: