Join a Domain in a Wine Bottle

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Creepy Gnome

Join a Domain in a Wine Bottle

Post by Creepy Gnome »

Hi I am new to Wine. I am using it on Mac OS X 10.5.2.

Wine Bottles seem to be like OS instances or something. I need to be able to have a Wine Bottle join an Windows Domain.

The reason is for Outlook 2003. It works fine, except is always asks me for the user name, password, and domain. If the Wine Bottle was part of the domain, then this would not happen.

On a related note, would also need to know how to chain me "computer name" for a wine bottle as well before I join the domain.

Kind Regards,

Creepy Gnome
vitamin

Re: Join a Domain in a Wine Bottle

Post by vitamin »

Creepy Gnome wrote:Hi I am new to Wine. I am using it on Mac OS X 10.5.2.

Wine Bottles seem to be like OS instances or something. I need to be able to have a Wine Bottle join an Windows Domain.

The reason is for Outlook 2003. It works fine, except is always asks me for the user name, password, and domain. If the Wine Bottle was part of the domain, then this would not happen.

On a related note, would also need to know how to chain me "computer name" for a wine bottle as well before I join the domain.

Kind Regards,

Creepy Gnome
You can not. Wine does not support windows networking. Use samba for that.
Creepy Gnome

Post by Creepy Gnome »

I have joined the domain on my Mac, however that is only for Mac OS, it doesn't pass through to Wine.

Wouldn't it make since for Wine to support Windows Networking? A number of applications depend on it. Or at least leverage the fact that if the main OS is part of a domain that Wine hooks in to it or something.

Samba doesn't solve the problem with Outlook (Or any other program that needs Windows Networking) requiring domain credentials every time it's open and over so often while it is open. Since outlook doesn't allow you to cache this, and the Mac OS Keychain doesn't support this, it is a big nussience.