Relocating WINE prefix

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Falcata
Level 1
Level 1

Relocating WINE prefix

Post by Falcata »

On my system, I have the wine prefix installed in the default location (/home/username/.wine). However, I goofed when I was installing linux, and my home partition is very small compared to the root partition. I tried repartitioning it with a livecd, but it said that the volume was "locked" or something like that. Anyways, I only have about 2 gigs of space left on my home partition, and I need 3 gigs of space so that I can install Fable. How do I move the WINE prefix to a different location, such as /opt/wine?
James McKenzie

Relocating WINE prefix

Post by James McKenzie »

Falcata wrote:
On my system, I have the wine prefix installed in the default location (/home/username/.wine). However, I goofed when I was installing linux, and my home partition is very small compared to the root partition. I tried repartitioning it with a livecd, but it said that the volume was "locked" or something like that. Anyways, I only have about 2 gigs of space left on my home partition, and I need 3 gigs of space so that I can install Fable. How do I move the WINE prefix to a different location, such as /opt/wine?

Try winecreateprefix /opt/wine

James McKenzie
James McKenzie

Relocating WINE prefix

Post by James McKenzie »

Falcata wrote:

Sorry, I typed a little to fast:

winecreateprefix --prefix /opt/wine

is correct.

James
vitamin

Re: Relocating WINE prefix

Post by vitamin »

James McKenzie wrote: winecreateprefix --prefix /opt/wine
You will still need to set WINEPREFIX environment variable to point there. IMHO before you got anywhere with your install - remove it, repartition and reinstall Linux. Small home dir will hunt you for a long long time.
Falcata
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Falcata »

Yes, it is about high-time I did that. This time, I'll use LVM so that I don't have to worry about resizing the partitions in the future.
James McKenzie

Relocating WINE prefix

Post by James McKenzie »

vitamin wrote:
James McKenzie wrote:
winecreateprefix --prefix /opt/wine

You will still need to set WINEPREFIX environment variable to point there. IMHO before you got anywhere with your install - remove it, repartition and reinstall Linux. Small home dir will hunt you for a long long time.

Vitamin:

I agree.

Falcata:

You need a much larger /home directory. Installing the user wine
directory in /opt/wine is bad form. If you are only testing, then you
can put it there.

How big is the hard drive you are trying to install Linux on? I had the
following structure:

/ 2GB
/usr 5GB or more
/opt 5 GB
/oracle 5 GB (yes, I was running Oracle on Linux for testing purposes)
/home 10GB or more
/data the rest of the drive

The /usr and /home directories depend on the size of your hard drive.
In my case it was a 60GB notebook drive.

James
Falcata
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Falcata »

My hard drive size is 80gb. During the install, I was in a hurry, and the size of my home partition was set to 7.5gb. That space was taken up quickly when I installed Elder Scrolls IV.

Anyways, I managed to repartition my hard drive without any problems, using the GParted LiveCD. Now, both my root and home partitions are set to 39gb.

I must comment, though, that a strange thing happened with the liveCD, though. I burned a copy of it, and the copy didn't work. This morning, I acted on a whim and inserted into my computer's CD drive, which said it was blank. I opened up k3b to rewrite it, and the program hanged, forcing me to reboot. After rebooting, I re-opened k3b to take a look at the CD. It was saying that the CD was using 800mb of it's capacity, when it's capacity is actually 700mb. I tried burning again, this time using a USB burner, and it worked fine. I'm guessing that the built-in CD burner on my computer is faulty, so I'm going to contact the place I bought it from and get a replacement.
Duane Clark

Relocating WINE prefix

Post by Duane Clark »

Falcata wrote:
On my system, I have the wine prefix installed in the default
location (/home/username/.wine). However, I goofed when I was
installing linux, and my home partition is very small compared to the
root partition. I tried repartitioning it with a livecd, but it said
that the volume was "locked" or something like that. Anyways, I only
have about 2 gigs of space left on my home partition, and I need 3
gigs of space so that I can install Fable. How do I move the WINE
prefix to a different location, such as /opt/wine?
While you can do this with the Wine prefix, I generally find the easier
thing to do is leave .wine in ~, and just change the symbolic link in
~/.wine/dosdevices to point to a different location for the C: drive. I
like to create a directory /c at the root level and change the
permissions on it to match the user permissions for me.

Not only does that keep most of the stuff out of my home directory, but
I can also execute programs easily with a minimal amount of typing be
using the shell path/filename completion. For example, I can type:
wine /c/P<tab>R<tab>
which gets expanded out to
wine /c/Program\ Files/Riven/