Problems with Litlink V.3

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
spider-lx

Post by spider-lx »

Hi there,

I use Ubuntu 7.10 with Gnome and want to run Litlink V.3 (http://www.lit-link.ch/) under Wine. The installation is no problem but the program doesn't start properly. It opens and I can see the start screen but than it freezes. I get the following messages when I try to start via terminal :

Backtrace:
=>1 0x7eb12e71 ImmDestroyContext+0x31(hIMC=0x1b8880) [/build/buildd/wine-0.9.46/dlls/imm32/imm.c:604] in imm32 (0x0034f35c)
2 0x0062515f in litlink v3 (+0x22515f) (0x00000000)

The upper section is about audio problems, I guess (...another issue I have to fix...). But this is not the actuall problem. I don't understand the rest, can somebody help me ? Do I have to tweak something ? Do I need some files ?

Thanks
vitamin

Re: Problems with Litlink V.3

Post by vitamin »

Upgrade Wine to latest wine-0.9.57, remove / rename ~/.wine directory, reinstall your application and try again.
Dan Kegel

Post by Dan Kegel »

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 12:08 PM, vitamin <[email protected]> wrote:
Upgrade Wine to latest wine-0.9.57, remove / rename ~/.wine directory, reinstall your application and try again.
Indeed. Works here for me with latest wine from git.
spider-lx

Post by spider-lx »

Thanks for the quick response !
I've updated Wine, deinstalled and reinstalled the application. (With "remove / rename ~/.wine directory" you mean the directory of the actual application, not the whole .wine directory, right ? Because that's where Wine also puts the necessary Windows files, isn't it ? (Sorry for being a bit stupid, I'm still a Linux rookie...)
Anyway, the application is starting better now and I get a bit further. But the whole program is still very unstable and slow, the application window is turning black from time to time and freezes after a while.
Here's the terminal messages (from program start to close) :

fixme:spoolsv:serv_main (0 (nil))
err:advapi:service_get_status service protocol error - failed to read pipe r = 0 count = 0!
err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on Intel 82801DB-ICH4 Modem, disabling mixer
fixme:actctx:parse_assembly_elem wrong version for assembly manifest
fixme:actctx:parse_manifest_buffer failed to parse manifest L"C:\\Programme\\Litlink v3\\Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC\\Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC.manifest"
fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC"
fixme:mlang:fnIMultiLanguage2_ConvertStringToUnicodeEx
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x34f794,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:dwmapi:DwmIsCompositionEnabled 0x34fe54
fixme:imm:ImmGetDefaultIMEWnd (0x20048 - (nil) (nil) ): semi-stub
fixme:win:UpdateLayeredWindow (0x20052,(nil),0x34ef04,0x34eefc,0x854c,0x34ef04,0x00000000,(nil),4): stub!
fixme:dciman:DCICreatePrimary 0x1a44 0x2a4128c
Chad
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chad »

spider-lx wrote:Thanks for the quick response !
I've updated Wine, deinstalled and reinstalled the application. (With "remove / rename ~/.wine directory" you mean the directory of the actual application, not the whole .wine directory, right ? Because that's where Wine also puts the necessary Windows files, isn't it ? (Sorry for being a bit stupid, I'm still a Linux rookie...)
If you rename/move the .wine directory, it will be recreated if you issue the winecfg command. You'll then get a fresh slate as far as files/configuration.
Dan Kegel

Post by Dan Kegel »

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 1:54 PM, spider-lx <[email protected]> wrote:
With "remove / rename ~/.wine directory" you mean the directory of the actual application, not the whole .wine directory, right ?
Nope, he really meant blow away the entire .wine directory
and reinstall the app from scratch. Think of it like
reinstalling Windows, but much less painful :-)
Wine will automatically create ~/.wine if it's missing.
spider-lx

Post by spider-lx »

Ok, I did that. The messages in the terminal look better now but there's still this black flickering and the freeze after a while. This part of the messages still keeps coming up when I start :

fixme:actctx:parse_manifest_buffer failed to parse manifest L"C:\\Programme\\Litlink v3\\Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC\\Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC.manifest"
fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC"

What does that mean : "parse_manifest_buffer failed to parse manifest" and "parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC"" ? Maybe that's the problem ?
Dan Kegel

Post by Dan Kegel »

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 2:44 PM, spider-lx <[email protected]> wrote:
Ok, I did that. The messages in the terminal look better now but there's still this black flickering and the freeze after a while.
How long does it take before it freezes?
What's the black flickering like?
This part of the messages still keeps coming up when I start :

What does that mean : "parse_manifest_buffer failed to parse manifest" and "parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC"" ? Maybe that's the problem ?
Quite possibly nothing. Wine has very noisy log messages.
Don't assume that the log messages are real problems.
Especially ones that start 'fixme'.
Ones that start 'err' are more likely to be real problems.
Even then they could be benign.
- Dan
spider-lx

Post by spider-lx »

The flickering appears when the whole content of the application window changes, for example when changing a page. The window turns black and than the new page is going to build up. The freezing happens in that moment - the window is black and no new page is coming. I can change the page for about 5 times or so and than it freezes.