Wine under ubuntu hardy

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
gspat

Wine under ubuntu hardy

Post by gspat »

Hi, just a quick question if I could...

When will there be a hardy repository for wine? Presently, I'm usingthe gutsy one and it works just fine, but I see there is a repository for each version so far, so will there be one for hardy as well?
sjc1963
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Wine under ubuntu hardy

Post by sjc1963 »

gspat wrote:Hi, just a quick question if I could...

When will there be a hardy repository for wine? Presently, I'm usingthe gutsy one and it works just fine, but I see there is a repository for each version so far, so will there be one for hardy as well?
I suppose there will be one once it is out of beta.....
gspat

Dropa Stones

Post by gspat »

Too bad we have to wait so long, maybe it should be created as soon as it hits beta, considering it is supposed to be "feature complete" by that time and many people jump over to it at that time.

Anyways, It works well as it is, so I have no complaints one way or the other!!!! (A big thanks to the devs for this amazing app!!!)
AlanJ
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Dropa Stones

Post by AlanJ »

gspat wrote:Too bad we have to wait so long, maybe it should be created as soon as it hits beta, considering it is supposed to be "feature complete" by that time and many people jump over to it at that time.
Not really, since hardy gets updates regularly one of them could stop a deb version of wine from working, so the deb maintainer would have to rebuild the package again. Sure that gets more unlikely the closer hardy gets to release but it can happen.
Xelinis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Xelinis »

Why don't you just compile wine?
sjc1963
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sjc1963 »

AlanJ wrote:
gspat wrote:Too bad we have to wait so long, maybe it should be created as soon as it hits beta, considering it is supposed to be "feature complete" by that time and many people jump over to it at that time.
Not really, since hardy gets updates regularly one of them could stop a deb version of wine from working, so the deb maintainer would have to rebuild the package again. Sure that gets more unlikely the closer hardy gets to release but it can happen.
Its due to be released as final next month.
AlanJ
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AlanJ »

The hardy repository does currently contain wine 0.9.57, it normally after release that they stop updating it so that you have to rely on the debs from the wine site.
gspat

Post by gspat »

AlanJ wrote: Not really, since hardy gets updates regularly one of them could stop a deb version of wine from working, so the deb maintainer would have to rebuild the package again. Sure that gets more unlikely the closer hardy gets to release but it can happen.
Umm.. isn't that the point of having the repository? So that updates can be made in a timely fashion for whatever reason?

I did compile it myself after issues surrounding the 56 release, but 1/2 hour to compile vs > 1 minute to download a deb makes it tough to justify especially since there is no real performance gain.

Like I said, as long as it works I'm happy, thanks again!!