Wine + Minitab 16 = no graphs :(

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
craneology

Wine + Minitab 16 = no graphs :(

Post by craneology »

Howdy wine users,

According to the database, Minitab 16 should be working fine for graphing. However, upon installation, I find that I cannot get any sort of graphing functionality to work.

When I do attempt to use the graphs, the following error appears in my console:
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
fixme:vbscript:VBScript_QueryInterface (0x2a12718)->({00000126-0000-0000-c000-000000000046} 0x32dedc)
fixme:vbscript:VBScript_AddTypeLib (0x2a12718)->()
fixme:vbscript:parse_next_token Unhandled char ÿ in L"\feff\r\n' Declare variable before use\r\n\r\n'Note (NCB 6/13/02): The variables in this file are used in the\r\n'graph creation and editing dialogs. Removal of them\r\n'may cause problems with those dialogs.\r\n\r\nOption Explicit\r\n\r\n' Color\r\nConst DEFAULT_COLOR = 4278190080.0\r\n\r\n' Calcula"...
fixme:vbscript:parse_script parser failed around L"\feff\r\n' Declare variable before use\r\n\r\n'Note (NCB 6/13/02): The variables in this file are used in the\r\n'graph creation and editing dialogs. Removal of them\r\n'may cause problems with those dialogs.\r\n\r\nOption Explicit\r\n\r\n' Color\r\nConst DEFAULT_COLOR = 4278190080.0\r\n\r\n' Calcula"...
I installed vb6run thinking that could have been the culprit, but alas not.

Has anyone successfully gotten Minitab to install with wine, while maintaining the graphing functionality?

Any help is greatly appreciated in advance!
dimesio

Re: Wine + Minitab 16 = no graphs :(

Post by dimesio »

You didn't mention what Wine version you're using. If it's not the latest development release, upgrade.
craneology

Post by craneology »

Great observation; the joy of working and posting at past 3AM.

The version is indeed the latest 1.7.1-1. I am running the Arch Linux distribution, and installed wine via their package manager, so I cannot fathom that an error would be stemming from the installation.

Likewise I have installed msxml6 using winetricks which fixed a previous error I noticed during the output.
reag8031

Post by reag8031 »

Could you fix your problem with minitab 16??? ... With an older version of Wine, I could use Graphs, but now I'm getting the same problem with graphs, but my error says: "Unable to open dialog. A necessary script component could not be initialized".

By the way, I have always added Internet Explorer 6.0 in wine tricks installation options. the first time I got and error in the console, telling me to download it manually and putting it on an specified folder and then run again the installation, so the second time it worked (the installation).

I hope hearing from you...

regards!
Roger.
reag8031

Post by reag8031 »

OK... As it happens, I've resolved the "No Graphs" issue.. so here are my details:

- I used an older version of Minitab 16, the 1611 one instead of the 1624 that is downloaded from the minitab website.
- I'm using the "Multi-user" version, because is the version that my company use.
- You may use the Internet Explorer 6.0 or 8.0 in winetricks
- A big deal for this Thread: I'm using OS X 10.8.4 from Apple, and used WineBottle to create the minitab application.

That's it!

I hope it'll help!
darkcity

Post by darkcity »

Hi

I too am running Minitab 16 (.2.4) under WINE but on Linux. Similarly it runs run the graph functions return the error-

Unable to open dialog. A necessary script component could not be initialized.

Where can I get the 1611 version from?

Thanks in advance 8)
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

I'm sorry for posting on an old thread, but this is the answer to the question.

Search and install the package wsh56vb on Winetricks, that will allow access to Tools -> Options window and Graphs.
darkcity

Post by darkcity »

Hi Godspeed,

Thanks for fix, I'll test it on my versions of WINE and Minitab, and report back.

: -)
darkttsun

Post by darkttsun »

This might be a necro-post, however installing the VBScript: sh winetricks wsh56vb

Did nothing to help with the graphing problem. I am still unable to make graphs with the same error as the previous posters:'(
darkcity2

Post by darkcity2 »

I've installed the latest WINE via Manjaro and have a copy of Minitab 17.

I can confirm, as per darkttsun, the following command *does not* (on its own at least) fix the no graphs problem:

winetricks wsh56vb

Also, performed the following winetricks to with no success:

wsh57
msxml3
ie6
vb6run
mfc42
-q dotnet35sp1 (must be done without dotnet20 installed, -q switch is necessary, or it will hang, wipe the wineprefix and start over)
dotnet40
corefonts
windowscodecs
mdac28
jet40
msxml6
winhttp
vcrun6

-----

Minitab 17 starts, but clicking on a graph option results in a can not start script error in, the following is output in the terminal:

fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {6c736db1-bd94-11d0-8a23-00aa00b58e10} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {6c736db1-bd94-11d0-8a23-00aa00b58e10} could be created for context 0x1
fixme:ole:CreateTypeLib (1,L"ConstDeb.tlb",0x32dc90), stub!

-----

@Godspeed what other configuration settings and winetricks have you got?