complete noob installation help

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
bronzeart

complete noob installation help

Post by bronzeart »

I have read the faq's, searched through the forums, and google'd everything I can think of, and I know this question is really, really, really basic and should be simple, but I just can't figure it out. I have installed linux on my acer aspire 7741G, and have downloaded wine 1.4.1 and extracted the files-- so... how do I install it? I looked for some sort of 'install' file or folder among the files that were downloaded, but can't seem to figure it out. If it makes a difference, I downloaded from both sourceforfge and ibiblio.

Thanks in advance for your help!
dimesio

Re: complete noob installation help

Post by dimesio »

What you've downloaded is the source code, which you need to compile yourself. You probably don't want to do that. Most distros have Wine packages that can be installed via your package manager. http://www.winehq.org/download/

If your distro does not have packages or your do want to build Wine yourself for some other reason, the instructions start here: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-719d19c ... c2a301ce52.
bronzeart

Post by bronzeart »

Thank you for your help! i do have another question. Is there a specific package that is better than another? I am trying to run Lord of the Rings Online and X-plane, if that makes any difference.

I did look at the second link you supplied, and you are correct, that is quite beyond my skillset.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

You need to use the package that was built for your distro, whatever it is. You should also use the latest development release (1.5.x) rather than the stable (1.4.x), as the latter is outdated.