MS Access Runtime

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
milesy

MS Access Runtime

Post by milesy »

Hi,

Please forgive me if this is a stupid post. I'm quite new to Linux, wine etc.

A quick bit of background. I have taken over as IT Manager at a company. They have Access Front Ends that connect to SQL back ends for all their day to day applications. All users at remote site TS into a 2003 server and run the front end on that to avoid data corruption.

Of course the system was never licensed, and management don't want to fork out $50k ish for cals, windows, SQL etc. so i'm experimenting with moving to open source.

I have managed to install Centos 6.0, and got wine installed. I have installed MS 2002 runtime (only gold rated Access version), installed ie7 to fix the trusted location issue and created my ODBC link.

I can open my front end it loads the start-up form. It can pull the data from my SQL database and populate the list of users (its a login form).

So everything seems good there. However a simple thing, my buttons don't seem to do anything. Login or Exit buttons look to click, ie. the press graphic works, but its like there is no code behind them. There are no errors or anything.

Before I try and install a full version of Access to start debugging, has anyone else tried this? Is there something I need to install to get the vba to work?

Any ideas would be great.

Milesy.
Ma Xiaojun

MS Access Runtime

Post by Ma Xiaojun »

What's your Wine version? Newer stable version (currently 1.4) should
be better in general.
wine --version

Can you provide the details about why and how you install native
components like MS 2002 runtime or ie7? If you use winetricks. Show
winetricks verbs you used.
http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

You may also try CrossOver. It's based on Wine. It's payware. But if
you cannot do something with CrossOver, you have little chance to make
it with Wine. Unless you are a real ninja~ You also get support by
purchasing CrossOver.
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

If would be nice if you can report bugs to Wine community. From my
experience, you won't get fix even reply very soon. But you still
helped the whole community a little bit~
http://wiki.winehq.org/Bugs

Good luck for your open source journey~
milesy

Post by milesy »

Thanks for the quick response.

I have Wine version 1.2.3 installed. Thats what is in EPEL 6

Code: Select all

yum install wine
to install ie7 i used winetricks.

sh winetricks ie7
to install 2002 runtime I just used the MSI

I started using Centos 6.2 x64 but had no end of problems, so restarted with Centos 6.0 i386 (happened to have a DVD n my desk) and had a lot more luck.

Been googleing further and found some information about dcom98 and some required dll's. I'll see if I can get that running.

I don't think this is a bug as such, rather something I haven't done yet.

Milesy,
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

milesy wrote: I have Wine version 1.2.3 installed. Thats what is in EPEL 6
That version is over a year old and no longer supported here. Upgrade to at least 1.4. If your distro doesn't provide packages, you can build it yourself.
Been googleing further and found some information about dcom98 and some required dll's.
Native dcom98 hasn't worked with Wine for quite some time; it was removed from winetricks for that reason.
milesy

Post by milesy »

Hi,

OK, I have reinstalled Linux (Centos 6.2 32 bit) from scratch. I have installed Wine 1.4 from the RPMForge test RPM. Works great.

I got winetricks.

Installed ie7

winetricks ie7
Installed Access 2002 runtime from the MSI.

Installed

winetricks jet40 mdac28
Added the odbc32 and odbccp32 in winecfg.

Open up my mdb. It opens fine. My ODBC works (after providing credentials, will need to look at LDAP later). However the buttons still do nothing.

Does anyone know of any dll's that need to be included for vba to work? Or an application?

I'm really stumped here.

Milesy
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

milesy wrote: Does anyone know of any dll's that need to be included for vba to work? Or an application?
Post terminal output. If it's long, use pastebin and post a link.

I've never tested Access 2002, but from what I recall from testing Access 2007 last summer, native oleaut32.dll (from XP) was needed to get forms to work. This was from a full install of Access, not just the runtime.