Crysis Retail w/ Wine 1.3.35

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Crysis Retail w/ Wine 1.3.35

Post by Bob Wya »

Hi all,

I am using Kubuntu 11.10 w/ KDE Desktop 4.7.3. Desktop effects are enabled (OpenGL) and fullscreen Windows are undirected. I have an Nvidia 8800 GTX w/ proprietary driver 280.13. Everything works great (sound, mouse, in-game 3D rendering, etc) except for keyboard input!!

Previously installed Crysis in a Wineprefix a few months ago (using about Wine 1.3.21 I think). I've updated Wine to 1.3.35 and now all my keyboard input is being directed to the terminal I am running the game from!

Running Crysis fullscreen (using a patched Wine 1.3.35) I can load a previously saved game (using the mouse only for navigation). The keyboard doesn't work at all in the menus or in game (keystrokes are directed to the console used to launch the game). Same problem with the "vanilla" packaged Wine 1.3.35.

Keyboard works with Virtual Desktop:

Code: Select all

????@????:~/.wineprefixes/crysis/drive_c/Program Files/Electronic Arts/Crytek/Crysis/Bin32$ wine explorer /desktop=name,1024x768 Crysis.exe &>  ./virtual_desktop_debug.log

Keyboard doesn't work with Fullscreen:

????@????:~/.wineprefixes/crysis/drive_c/Program Files/Electronic Arts/Crytek/Crysis/Bin32$ wine ./Crysis.exe &>  ./fullscreen_debug.log
In the short (minimal output) logs I get the only line worthy of attention is:

fixme:xinput:XInputGetCapabilities (0 1 0xb95e9fc)
Even if that relates to the keyboard input problem - this identical line is present when running Crysis in a virtual desktop (when the keyboard does work in game)...

Any thoughts? It's probably something obvious... I guess it might be a useful learning experience for me to figure this out 8)

Thanks
Bob
SolisX
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SolisX »

Hello Bob Wya,

Try wine 1.3.34. I think that maybe a bug with wine 1.3.35.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

SolisX wrote:Hello Bob Wya,

Try wine 1.3.34. I think that maybe a bug with wine 1.3.35.
Ah good call... If it worked in an older version it probably is a regression specific to that game... I may as well run a full regression test (since I've got to run it with a patch version of Wine anyway)...

Thanks!!
Bob
Mateusz Stachowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mateusz Stachowski »

I have Crysis and Crysis Warhead from Steam and both of them work with Wine 1.3.35 (of course with DOUBLEBUFFER patch). I don't have problems with keyboard input or turning around 360 degrees with mouse.

Maybe you have some registry keys that are in conflict with this new Wine. I remember that Crysis required those in the older versions like 1.3.21 (it definitely was MouseWarpOverride set to force).
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

OK after trying a various different versions of WINE - I decided to go back to investigate the core issue that of focus being in the console window used to launch Crysis (I can see all my keystrokes in Konsole - after I have closed the Crysis window down).

After playing about with the settings in Kubuntu 11.10/KDE 4.7.4 I established that:
  1. With focus stealing NONE I can click into the Crysis (full-screened) window and give it keyboard focus.
  1. With focus stealing LOW (default - which I am still using) I have to have to either click on the desktop while WINE/Crysis is starting up or ALT-TAB into the Crysis (full-screened) window to give it keyboard focus.
The KDE System Settings GUI states that LEFT-CLICK will focus+raise inactive windows... But this does not work for the Crysis (full-screened) window when focus stealing is set to LOW. I guess Kwin is not seeing the mouse clicks because they are being passed through to WINE - directly by the XServer??? I can get around this by using a global keyboard shortcut (ALT-TAB) that is captured by Kwin - right??

As previously - Crysis is running as well as it ever did (on my ol' 8800 GTX) - so that's all good!

Anyone else seeing this issue in a KDE Desktop Environment? I don't (personally) recall seeing it in earlier versions of KDE... Hmmm might be useful to get some info on this added to the WINE FAQ...

Anyway thanks for all the thoughtful replies!

Bob