Audio CDs not detected by winecfg, and dbpoweramp CD Ripper

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
boneshaker335

Post by boneshaker335 »

Hi !

Audio CDs seem to be invisible to winecfg. I want to use dbpowerramp CD Ripper under Linux using WINE. CD Ripper doesn't see audio CDs, too.

I am using WINE 1.3.33, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit. Ubuntu itself correctly identifies the CD drives, and the Audio CDs. The CD-Rom-Drives are internal ATAPI drives, and external Plextor drives connected via firewire. If I put _data_ CDs into those drives and mount them, winecfg sees all these drives (even the external ones).

So accessing data CDs via WINE does work.

The CD Rom Drives are represented by /dev/sr* and mirrored to /dev/sg*. Rights seem to be correct, "rw" rights are set for user AND group (cdrom). My user is a member of the disk, and cdrom groups.

Still audio CDs are ignored. Is there any solution to this problem? Any ideas?

Very best wishes
Pete
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Is it this app? http://www.dbpoweramp.com/cd-ripper.htm

Assuming it is, you need to set communication to ASPI (under Options). The trial version detected audio cds fine for me once I did that.
boneshaker335

Post by boneshaker335 »

Yes, that's the app. I set it to ASPI, but it doesn't work. The following message is written to the console in ASPI mode:

fixme:aspi:SendASPI32Command ASPI: Partially implemented SC_HA_INQUIRY for adapter 0.
fixme:aspi:SendASPI32Command ASPI: Partially implemented SC_HA_INQUIRY for adapter 1.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

boneshaker335 wrote:Yes, that's the app. I set it to ASPI, but it doesn't work. The following message is written to the console in ASPI mode:

fixme:aspi:SendASPI32Command ASPI: Partially implemented SC_HA_INQUIRY for adapter 0.
fixme:aspi:SendASPI32Command ASPI: Partially implemented SC_HA_INQUIRY for adapter 1.
I get those same fixmes.

Try starting dbpoweramp with a data cd mounted. If it recognizes the drive, then switch to an audio cd with the app still running.
boneshaker335

Post by boneshaker335 »

dimesio wrote:Try starting dbpoweramp with a data cd mounted. If it recognizes the drive, then switch to an audio cd with the app still running.
Hey, many thanks, this workaround does indeed work. But since I have 5 rip drives, and rip CDs constantly (being a music collector), I guess I will have to buy & install windows, if that's the only way to get wine work with audio CDs.

Pete
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

boneshaker335 wrote:But since I have 5 rip drives, and rip CDs constantly (being a music collector), I guess I will have to buy & install windows, if that's the only way to get wine work with audio CDs.
Is there a reason you can't use a native Linux cd ripper?
Martin Gregorie

Post by Martin Gregorie »

On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 15:55 -0600, boneshaker335 wrote:
dimesio wrote:
Try starting dbpoweramp with a data cd mounted. If it recognizes the drive, then switch to an audio cd with the app still running.
Hey, many thanks, this workaround does indeed work. But since I have 5
rip drives, and rip CDs constantly (being a music collector), I guess
I will have to buy & install windows, if that's the only way to get
wine work with audio CDs.
What's wrong with Sound Juicer? Its always worked when I've needed it,
and well enough to handle CDs pressed so badly that my audio system
won't handle them and I can see the defects with a naked eye.

Sound Juicer is a Fedora standard package and probably in other
Gnome-based distros too.

Martin
Usurp
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Usurp »

dimesio wrote:
boneshaker335 wrote:But since I have 5 rip drives, and rip CDs constantly (being a music collector), I guess I will have to buy & install windows, if that's the only way to get wine work with audio CDs.
Is there a reason you can't use a native Linux cd ripper?
Is there a reason you can't make this just work ?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Usurp wrote: Is there a reason you can't make this just work ?
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12359
boneshaker335

Post by boneshaker335 »

Hi,

I managed to solve the problem. The source of the problem is Ubuntu's automounter.

In order to get audio CDs recognized by wine, add the CD drive with proper mount point (like /media/cd1) to the file fstab (although audio CDs are not actually mounted). Pay close attention to setting proper permissions. Create the mount point directory, and assign proper permissions, too.
Then winecfg 1.3.35 was able to detect the audio CD without the above mentioned insert-data-CD-first workarounds.