Registry entry to change MIDI mapper changed?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
motub
Level 2
Level 2

Registry entry to change MIDI mapper changed?

Post by motub »

I'm trying to get the MIDI music for the 1996 SegaSoft game Lose Your Marbles working. The game itself remains Platinum under 1.3.34-- it runs great, without any overrides, and the sound effects work fine too... it's just the MIDI music that does not play, or rather, is not heard.

I went to the Wiki and performed all the checks to confirm that MIDI does work

1) on Linux (Mint Debian)-- audacious didn't want to play LVL1.MID from the game install folder, but banshee played it without even blinking. aplaymid -p128:0 LVL1.MID worked fine as well.

2) in Wine-- I downloaded the MCI shell as advised by the Wiki and was able to play LVL1.MID after selecting the mapper as instructed in the "Since wine-1.1.41.." instruction set.

Because my aconnect -o reads as follows

Code: Select all

za dec 17 02:06  motub Marbles $:  aconnect -o
client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'
client 16: 'C-Media CMI8738' [type=kernel]
    0 'C-Media CMI8738 MIDI'
client 17: 'OPL3 FM synth' [type=kernel]
    0 'OPL3 FM Port    '
client 128: 'TiMidity' [type=user]
    0 'TiMidity port 0 '
    1 'TiMidity port 1 '
    2 'TiMidity port 2 '
    3 'TiMidity port 3 '
I presumed that I had exactly the issue stated in the Wiki (that Wine is using the first device found, which is essentially inaudible to me as I don't have any actual MIDI hardware), so I set the Registry entry as specified in the Wiki:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\MIDIMap]
"CurrentInstrument"="#1"

This made no difference. I then set the instrument to #4, which I hoped would be the TiMidity port.

Also doesn't work. So just for the heck of it, I tried #2 and #3 . Naturally, no joy.

I can no longer check that all the devices are present in winecfg, because that functionality has been removed. I wondered if in the meantime, the Registry entry might have changed as well, or might not apply to Win95/98 which are the only two Win versions this game runs on.

There is a demo available, but sadly it does not include any MIDI music, so it's no use for friendly testers.

But if anyone has a clue as to why the Registry entry doesn't seem to be of any use, even though it seems like it should be working, I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts.