Wine not running applications in Windows Partition

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
iserp

Wine not running applications in Windows Partition

Post by iserp »

I posted this on the opensuse forums:
I guess this should have an easy solution, but i don't find it anywhere.

I have a laptop (64 bit) with dual boot Vista and Opensuse 11.2 (fresh install). And i have downloaded Wine (from Yast).

If I download a windows program (for example, Spotify) install it in Opensuse, and execute it, it works perfectly.

However, if i try to run Spotify which is installed in my Windows partition, it fails:
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00800000 at address 0x800000 (thread 0009), starting debugger...
Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00800000 in 32-bit code (0x00800000).

etc...
In other distros i was able to run programs in my Windows partition directly, and i'd rather not duplicate every program in both Windows and Opensuse.

Any help would be welcome!
However then i realized that the Wine FAQ says:
3.1. I have lots of applications already installed in Windows. How do I run them in Wine?

Short answer: You have to install them in Wine just like you did in Windows. Applications usually have a setup or installer program.

Long answer: Some applications can be copied from Windows to Wine and still work, but don't try this unless you like tinkering under the hood of your car while it's running.

Wine is not designed to interact with an existing Windows installation.

WARNING: Do not try to configure Wine to point to your actual Windows C:\ drive. This will break Windows and require a reinstall. We have tried to make this hard to do so you probably cannot do it by accident. If you do manage this, Wine may or may not continue to operate, but your Windows install will be 100% dead due to critical parts of it being overwritten. The only way to fix Windows after this has happened is to reinstall it.
However i come from Kubuntu, where i could run Spotify, Civilization IV and Star Wars KoTOR from my windows partition. What's so special about Ubuntu's version of wine? Is there any way to do the same in opensuse??

Thanks a lot!
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Did you mount the Windows partition with the exec option? The default is noexec, which will prevent Wine from executing anything on that partition.
iserp

Post by iserp »

dimesio wrote:Did you mount the Windows partition with the exec option? The default is noexec, which will prevent Wine from executing anything on that partition.

Wow, thank you! :)