Tropico 3 Demo Graphics Problem - People are not visible

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
viktorias
Level 2
Level 2

Post by viktorias »

Hi!

I am trying to run the Tropico 3 Demo on Wine 1.3.18. Everything is displaying fine (buildings, trees, etc.), except the people.
The city looks like a ghost city, doors opening and closing but nobody is there.

Can somebody help me what can be wrong? I tried different graphics options in the game, and different Direct 3d settings in the registry, but nothing seems to be working.

I have a dll override for the d3dx9_41.dll. (Maybe I need more dll overrides?)

Here is the output of the game:
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32f384,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:imagehlp:ImageLoad (C:\Program Files\Kalypso\Tropico 3 Demo\Tropico3 Demo.exe, (null)): stub
fixme:d3d:debug_d3dformat Unrecognized 0x5a534552 (as fourcc: RESZ) WINED3DFORMAT!
fixme:d3d:wined3d_get_format Can't find format unrecognized (0x5a534552) in the format lookup table
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32ee44,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:swapchain_init Add OpenGL context recreation support to context_validate_onscreen_formats
err:ole:CoCreateInstance apartment not initialised
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32ed3c,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d9:Direct3DShaderValidatorCreate9 stub
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HD-Audio Generic, disabling mixer
fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0x1cd7b048,0x1cd7afd0): stub
fixme:avrt:AvSetMmThreadCharacteristicsW (L"Audio",0x6951ea44): stub
fixme:wininet:CommitUrlCacheEntryInternal entry already in cache - don't know what to do!
err:d3d_surface:surface_set_texture_name Surface has SFLAG_INTEXTURE set, but no texture name.
err:d3d_surface:surface_modify_location Surface 0x1d7288 does not have any up to date location.
fixme:d3d_surface:surface_load_location Downloading RGB surface 0x5baf5928 to reload it as sRGB.
fixme:d3d_surface:surface_load_location Downloading RGB surface 0x5baf8258 to reload it as sRGB.
fixme:d3d_surface:surface_load_location Downloading RGB surface 0x1ced02c8 to reload it as sRGB.
fixme:d3d_surface:surface_load_location Downloading RGB surface 0x1ce0f630 to reload it as sRGB.

And the fixme:d3d_surface:surface_load_location Downloading RGB surface 0x1ce0f630 to reload it as sRGB. type lines go on forever.
And the err:d3d_surface: messages seems to be interesting, but I don't know how to deal with those.

Any help would be appreciated.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

This only seems to be happening for me with an ATI GPU.... using nvidia or an Intel HD 3000 the game runs fine, but everything is invisible if I try to use my Radeon 6750. I tried several Wine versions and tons of Direct3D settings and dll overrides, but nothing seemed to work.
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

On 4/21/11 10:59 AM, doh123 wrote:
This only seems to be happening for me with an ATI GPU.... using nvidia or an Intel HD 3000 the game runs fine, but everything is invisible if I try to use my Radeon 6750. I tried several Wine versions and tons of Direct3D settings and dll overrides, but nothing seemed to work.
Doh123:

Known shortcoming with the current Catalyst drivers. This has been
discussed several times here.

James McKenzie
viktorias
Level 2
Level 2

Post by viktorias »

I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 5470 card, but the strange thing that I can see the buildings, the trees, only the people is missing.

And when I was trying different settings I found that in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D
"UseGLSL"="enabled"
should be set otherwise the buildings (and maybe even the trees as well) disappear.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Tropico 3 Demo Graphics Problem - People are not visible

Post by doh123 »

James McKenzie wrote:On 4/21/11 10:59 AM, doh123 wrote:
Doh123:

James McKenzie
Apple makes their own drivers... what they are based on, who knows... X11 passes through... but yes I know ATIs often have issues on Linux, but I've had less issues on OSX... but this invisible people thing is happening on OSX and Linux apparently both on ATI cards.

and yes viktorias, its only the people. i also found disabling glsl will make the buildings and many other things vanish as well.
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

On 4/21/11 10:18 PM, doh123 wrote:
James McKenzie wrote:
On 4/21/11 10:59 AM, doh123 wrote:

Doh123:

James McKenzie
Apple makes their own drivers... what they are based on, who knows... X11 passes through... but yes I know ATIs often have issues on Linux, but I've had less issues on OSX... but this invisible people thing is happening on OSX and Linux apparently both on ATI cards.

and yes viktorias, its only the people. i also found disabling glsl will make the buildings and many other things vanish as well.
doh123:

Apple's ATI driver does not suffer from as many shortcomings as the
Catalyst series for Linux. Hopefully, AMD/ATI is watching and will fix
this. There is an open bug report for this as well.

James McKenzie
viktorias
Level 2
Level 2

Post by viktorias »

Thank you for all your help.

Do you know if this problem affects the full game too, or this problem is only with the demo?
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

viktorias wrote:Thank you for all your help.

Do you know if this problem affects the full game too, or this problem is only with the demo?
I only downloaded the demo, but the game is pretty cool.. I might get it... but sucks I have to run it on my Intel graphics, but the HD3000 is actually awesome for intel... not as good as my ATI of course, but still decent settings and very playable over 30fps in the game right now. If I get the full game, I'll of course test if this problem still happens on my ATI, but I seriously doubt it will be any different. Its nice to have 2 graphics options in my laptop though :-)
viktorias
Level 2
Level 2

Post by viktorias »

Great news! I have updated today to Ubuntu 11.04 and I also updated wine and I reinstalled the ATI driver and the people appeared on the game!
Tiny baby little hick up that the water is looking a bit weird, and if I set the water quality higher then the game crashes.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

viktorias wrote:Great news! I have updated today to Ubuntu 11.04 and I also updated wine and I reinstalled the ATI driver and the people appeared on the game!
Tiny baby little hick up that the water is looking a bit weird, and if I set the water quality higher then the game crashes.
On Mac OS X... updating to 1.3.19 now just causes it to crash on start up for me... going back to 1.3.18 it starts but has the invis people problem... the crash is new with 1.3.19 for me, and happens using the Radeon or the Intel... back on 1.3.18 it still works perfectly on the Intel.
jjmckenzie

Post by jjmckenzie »

On 5/1/11 10:57 AM, doh123 wrote:
viktorias wrote:
Great news! I have updated today to Ubuntu 11.04 and I also updated wine and I reinstalled the ATI driver and the people appeared on the game!
On Mac OS X... updating to 1.3.19 now just causes it to crash on start up for me... going back to 1.3.18 it starts but has the invis people problem... the crash is new with 1.3.19 for me, and happens using the Radeon or the Intel... back on 1.3.18 it still works perfectly on the Intel.
I think that I remember you were using MacPorts version of Wine.

I'll look at 1.3.19 built using a different script.

James McKenzie
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

jjmckenzie wrote: think that I remember you were using MacPorts version of Wine.

James McKenzie
Tried 1.3.19 built from source in Wineskin, as well as just trying it manually from source and command line... haven't tried macports yet, its still listed as 1.3.18.
jjmckenzie

Post by jjmckenzie »

On 5/1/11 1:31 PM, doh123 wrote:
jjmckenzie wrote:
think that I remember you were using MacPorts version of Wine.

James McKenzie
Tried 1.3.19 built from source in Wineskin, as well as just trying it manually from source and command line... haven't tried macports yet, its still listed as 1.3.18.
Did it work or crash?

I have 1.3.19 build from a script as well as from a customized Fink script.

James McKenzie
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

jjmckenzie wrote:On 5/1/11 1:31 PM, doh123 wrote:
jjmckenzie wrote:
think that I remember you were using MacPorts version of Wine.

James McKenzie
Did it work or crash?

James McKenzie
1.3.19 just crashes at start up, never getting the main menu... the standard Wine deficiency pop up message.. Since viktorias was victorious at getting the models to show up with the latest Wine I thought I'd try it, but it just no longer works. I haven't felt like doing another regression test just yet.. just did one yesterday
jjmckenzie

Post by jjmckenzie »

On 5/1/11 4:43 PM, doh123 wrote:
jjmckenzie wrote:
On 5/1/11 1:31 PM, doh123 wrote:
jjmckenzie wrote:

Did it work or crash?

James McKenzie
1.3.19 just crashes at start up, never getting the main menu... the standard Wine deficiency pop up message.. Since viktorias was victorious at getting the models to show up with the latest Wine I thought I'd try it, but it just no longer works. I haven't felt like doing another regression test just yet.. just did one yesterday
I'm running wine 1.3.19 with e-Sword just fine here. I'll have to do
more checking, if you wish.

James McKenzie
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

jjmckenzie wrote:I'm running wine 1.3.19 with e-Sword just fine here. I'll have to do

James McKenzie
I'm only referring to Tropico 3.. the subject of this thread. 1.3.19 is working fine on several programs.
jjmckenzie

Post by jjmckenzie »

On 5/1/11 6:45 PM, doh123 wrote:
jjmckenzie wrote:
I'm running wine 1.3.19 with e-Sword just fine here. I'll have to do

James McKenzie
I'm only referring to Tropico 3.. the subject of this thread. 1.3.19 is working fine on several programs.
My misunderstanding. Is this program available as demo or trial software?

James McKenzie
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

jjmckenzie wrote:My misunderstanding. Is this program available as demo or trial software?

James McKenzie
yep

http://www.tropico3.com/?p=downloads
jjmckenzie

Post by jjmckenzie »

On 5/1/11 7:28 PM, doh123 wrote:
jjmckenzie wrote:
My misunderstanding. Is this program available as demo or trial software?

James McKenzie
yep

http://www.tropico3.com/?p=downloads
Thanks. Time to turn in for the night, but tomorrow is another day.

James McKenzie
viktorias
Level 2
Level 2

Post by viktorias »

If you run this from command line like this:
Prompt:~$ env WINEPREFIX="/home/x/wine_tr3demo" wine C:\\Program\ Files\\Kalypso\\Tropico\ 3\ Demo\\Tropico3\ Demo.exe

And you get this:

fixme:imagehlp:ImageLoad (C:\Program Files\Kalypso\Tropico 3 Demo\Tropico3 Demo.exe, (null)): stub
fixme:dbghelp:elf_search_auxv can't find symbol in module
fixme:faultrep:ReportFault 0x32f87c 0x0 stub

Then you should change the directory to the directory where the Tropico 3 is installed and then run the above command.

In winedcfg the I set the Graphics panel I set emulate virtual desktop and set its size to 1024x768.

I have the following dll overrides since the demo install has overwritten several files in the windows system32 directory during install.
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\DllOverrides]
"d3dx9_41"="native,builtin"
"X3DAudio1_2"="native,builtin"
"X3DAudio1_3"="native,builtin"
"X3DAudio1_4"="native,builtin"
"X3DAudio1_5"="native,builtin"
"X3DAudio1_6"="native,builtin"
"XAPOFX1_0"="native,builtin"
"xapofx1_1"="native,builtin"
"XAPOFX1_2"="native,builtin"
"XAPOFX1_3"="native,builtin"
"XAudio2_0"="native,builtin"
"XAudio2_1"="native,builtin"
"XAudio2_2"="native,builtin"
"XAudio2_3"="native,builtin"
"XAudio2_4"="native,builtin"
"xinput1_1"="native,builtin"
"xinput1_2"="native,builtin"
"xinput1_3"="native,builtin"
"xinput9_1_0"="native,builtin"

Having the d3dx9_41 override is important. (I am not quite sure about the others since I have not tested the game without them in wine 1.3.19. If I remeber well in wine 1.3.18 the game worked without the other overrides as well.)

In the Direct3D section I have the following settings:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D]
"DirectDrawRenderer"="gdi"
"Multisampling"="enabled"
"OffscreenRenderingMode"="fbo"
"RenderTargetLockMode"="readtex"
"StrictDrawOrdering"="disabled"
"UseGLSL"="enabled"

I think most of the cases these are the default settings, so maybe you don't need to set them up at all.

Regards:
viktorias
viktorias
Level 2
Level 2

Post by viktorias »

And some additional info I forgot to mention:
The ATI Catalyst Control center shows the following informations about the driver:
Driver Packaging Version: 8.78.3-100920a-105558C-ATI
2D Driver version: 8.84.60
OpenGL version: 4.1.10665 Compatibility Profile Context

This is the driver which was installed by Ubuntu 11.04 in System/Administration/Additional Drivers.