wine cannot find L "c:/windows/system32/plugplay.exe

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
bflojoe6
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bflojoe6 »

I'm running Wine1.2.2 on Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid). In my file manager, I can get to the /.wine/drive_c folder, so I know it exists in my file system. However, when I open the Wine Configuration window (either via apps/wine/configuration or via terminal (winecfg), on the Drives tab it shows
C: ../drive_c
D: /media UDISK
(and a few other drives).

However, the C drive 'browse' button is greyed out, so I cannot link Wine to this drive, which in fact does appear in my file system

When I try to bring up the wine configure page or the ../drive_c file in terminal I get the message: wine cannot find L "C/windows/system/32/plugplay.exe"

What is wrong and how can I fix this problem? Thanks.
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 11:09 AM, bflojoe6 <[email protected]> wrote:
I'm running Wine1.2.2 on Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid). In my file manager, I can get to the /.wine/drive_c folder, so I know it exists in my file system.
However, when I open the Wine Configuration window (either via apps/wine/configuration or via terminal (winecfg), on the Drives tab it shows
  C:      ../drive_c
  D:      /media UDISK
(and a few other drives).

However, the C drive 'browse' button is greyed out, so I cannot link Wine to this drive, which in fact does appear in my file system.
And you should NOT be able to do this. What are you actually trying
to do? If you are trying to link in an existing Windows file system,
PLEASE do not do this. One thing is it will break your ability to run
programs in Wine and the second is that this will break your existing
Windows installation in interesting ways, requiring a COMPLETE
reinstall of Windows.
When I try to bring up the wine configure page or the ../drive_c file in terminal I get the message: wine cannot find
L "C/windows/system/32/plugplay.exe".
Is this really what it says or is the response what you entered as the
Title of the forum thread?

Back to my original question. What is it that you are trying to do?
If you want to run programs out of your Windows directory, I will
advise against it for two reasons:
1. Wine presently does fully implement NTFS file permissions. This
can cause problems when you try to use files created under Wine in
Windows.
2. Most programs, when installed, write information to the Windows
Directory. Wine cannot use your Windows registry 'hive' and has one
of its own. You will need to re-install each program you want to use
in Wine. Wine is a Linux program and will use, for the moment, Linux
related file permissions. It is much better to use a Linux partition
for your programs and a FAT32 partition for your program's data
elements so you can move them to a Windows partition if needed.

James McKenzie
bflojoe6
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bflojoe6 »

Thanks for that important distinction. Good to know. Its an installation issue then To install an application I copied its .exe file (msmoney.exe) onto the Ubuntu desktop, opened a Terminal, changed directory to desktop and then typed wine msmoney.exe in terminal. Then I get the following message: joseph@joseph-laptop:~$ cd Desktop
joseph@joseph-laptop:~/Desktop$ wine msmoney.exe
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\plugplay.exe"
fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.CRT" (8.0.50608.0)
err:module:import_dll Library UTLSRF08.DLL (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\joseph\\Desktop\\msmoney.exe") not found
err:module:import_dll Library MNYSL08.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\joseph\\Desktop\\msmoney.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\home\\joseph\\Desktop\\msmoney.exe" failed, status c0000135
joseph@joseph-laptop:~/Desktop$ When I then add msmoney.exe through the wine configuration page, click OK, it does not stay there when I re-open the config page. The issue seems related to wine not finding c/windows/system32/plugplay.exe.This .exe does not seem to be in the Windows/system32 folder anywhere.Any suggestions?
DanKegel

Post by DanKegel »

I think
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\plugplay.exe"
happens when you revert back to an older wine, or something.
It's probably harmless. Your real problem may be elsewhere.

Which version of msmoney?
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... ion&iId=79
suggests trying the freely downloadable Sunset version.
André H.

Post by André H. »

bflojoe6 wrote:I copied its .exe file (msmoney.exe) onto the Ubuntu desktop, opened a Terminal, changed directory to desktop and then typed wine msmoney.exe in terminal.
Forget about your windows partition. just get the installer for that app and run it in wine, if you only copy hte ".exe" from your windows installation you won't be able to run it, and if you now want to try to copy the whole folder it most likely still won't run. you need to install it in wine.
bflojoe6
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bflojoe6 »

OK. But I'm having trouble installing apps via Wine. Following the Ubuntu Documentation directions, I download a Windowss app (USMoneyDixSunset.exe) and save it to my Desktop (I'm using Firefox & Chrome browsers and perhaps I need to use IE? for Microsoft apps?). Then I open a Terminal and change to Desktop directory. I then type "wine USMoneyDixSunset.exe" (without the quotes of course) and I get: "wine cannot find L "C:\\windws\\system32\\USMoneyDixSunset.exe" I don't know why wine looks in that folder instead of on the desktop? Again, I'm using the wine 1.2.2 that came with Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid). I noticed that when I installed wine via SPM, the hidden /.wine folder was established as it was supposed to. But there appears to be 2 locations for drive c:

/home/user/.wine/dosdevices/c (which contains pgm files, users, windows)
and
/home/user.wine
dos devices (c d e z)
drive c (pgm files, users, windows)

Is this a problem with installing wine or is this how it should be? Thanks for your patience. I'd love to get the MM Sunset program working so I can leave Windows forever!
André H.

Post by André H. »

maybe a broken wineprefix
try:
WINEPREFIX=~/.winemmsunset wine USMoneyDixSunset.exe
on your desktop
DanKegel

Post by DanKegel »

bflojoe6 wrote:I open a Terminal and change to Desktop directory. I then type "wine USMoneyDixSunset.exe" (without the quotes of course) and I get: "wine cannot find L "C:\\windws\\system32\\USMoneyDixSunset.exe" I don't know why wine looks in that folder instead of on the desktop?
Probably because you typed the filename wrong. Use tab completion,
that frees you from accidental typos. e.g. do wine US<tab> and it should
fill out the line with the execuable's full filename. If it doesn't autocomplete,
you either typed the wrong first few letters, or you're in the wrong directory and the file isn't there.

I just tried this:

wget http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... Sunset.exe
wine USMoneyDlxSunset.exe

and it installed fine. I also had to do 'winetricks ie6' to get the app to
behave, as noted in the appdb. Haven't really used it, though.
bflojoe6
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bflojoe6 »

Tried WINEPREFIX and got message wine mmsunset has been updated. But it did not help. Using tab auto completion trick worked, since the actual file name required was different from the downloded file name! Anyway, it did install but is still not working. I downloaded and installed the MM file from your link. It installed. I downloaded and installed IE6. All seems ok.

Looking in apps/wine/configuration/apps tab I see Default Settings, IEXPLORE.EXE and msmoney.exe; I set Windows Version as XP (not global).

Looking in appls/wine/uninstall wine apps I see Microsoft IE 6, MM Plus and MM Shared Libraries

However, if I try to run one of these programs thru apps/wine/browse drive c, I get message that an error has occurred and needs to close. If I type 'winefile' in Terminal, and get to .exe file, same thing. (I noticed that if I clicked the same .exe program file a second time I get a message "Money is already running", and I have to kill its process to end it.

With winefile in browser it opens and at top it says winefile Z:\NTFS and contains a lot of typical Ubuntu folders (bin, etc, etc). Is this supposed to be Z drive? It seems like I've installed everything correctly, but some little thing is blocking my opening/running these programs (MM and IE). Any thoughts?
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

On 4/3/11 8:22 PM, bflojoe6 wrote:
With winefile in browser it opens and at top it says winefile Z:\NTFS and contains a lot of typical Ubuntu folders (bin, etc, etc). Is this supposed to be Z drive? It seems like I've installed everything correctly, but some little thing is blocking my opening/running these programs (MM and IE). Any thoughts?
It looks like something is wrong here unless you named your Ubuntu
directory NTFS. The Z: drive should be pointing at the root directory
of your LInux install.

James McKenzie
bflojoe6
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bflojoe6 »

I have a dual boot setup w/XP & Ubuntu with the following partitions:

Sda1 Windows (NTFS);
Sda 5 Linux Ubuntu Swap;
Sda 6 Linux Ubuntu (Ext 3); /
Sda 7 Linux Ubuntu home directory (Ext 3) /home
Sda 2 unallocated

I did not assign wine to a drive or partition when I installed it. Is there a way to correct this in a dual boot situation, using a disk partition utility or within wine? The Windows partition is not mounted in Ubuntu Disk Utility, although its file system does appear as an option in the Places/Home Folder list of drives (this allows me to access Windows files). The Wine File - [Z:\] contains the following folders: .cache, bin, boot, cdrom, etc, home, lib, lost+found, media, mnt, opt, root, sbin, selinux, srv, tmp, usr, var, and a few files. These are Linux folders, are they not?
bflojoe6
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bflojoe6 »

Regarding my file structure, if I go to Places/Home Folder/.wine I find two folders; dos devices and drive c. Within dos devices folder there are sub-folders c, d, e, y, and z. Within the c sub-folder under dos devices there are 3 sub-folders; Program files, Users and Windows. Within this Program Files sub folder there are 3 sub-folders; Common Files, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Money Plus. Within the separate drive c sub-folder under .wine there are 3 sub-folders (Program Files, Users, Windows-the same folders that appear under dos devices/c.

If I go to Applications/wine/Browse drive c I end up at /home/joseph/dos devices/c (not the separate drive c folder in .wine. Is this a problem? Does this reflect a problem w/wine configuration?
bflojoe6
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bflojoe6 »

One last comment. I downloaded/installed a Windows based utility in wine: CCleaner and it worked perfectly!
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

bflojoe6 wrote:Folder[/u]/.wine I find two folders; dos devices and drive c.
Correct. There are few more files too in that directory.
bflojoe6 wrote: Within dos devices folder there are sub-folders c, d, e, y, and z.
They are not directories, they are symlinks.
bflojoe6 wrote:If I go to Applications/wine/Browse drive c I end up at /home/joseph/dos devices/c
Correct.
bflojoe6 wrote:I downloaded/installed a Windows based utility in wine: CCleaner and it worked perfectly!
I would not recommend using any such utilities. They will damage Wine registry and/or files, even if it looks like they worked fine.
bflojoe6
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bflojoe6 »

Thanks. I removed CCleaner. I finally did get USMoneyDixSunset to install such that when I go to apps/wine/programs Microsoft Money Plus appears. However, when I select it I get the all too familiar message. "MM.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. It may be a problem with this program or with Wine." If I click it again it says MM+ is already running, and I have to then kill its process in Terminal.

Any ideas? I feel like I'm getting closer but this shouldn't be this difficult~
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 10:47 AM, bflojoe6 <[email protected]> wrote:
Thanks. I removed CCleaner. I finally did get USMoneyDixSunset to install such that when I go to apps/wine/programs Microsoft Money Plus
appears. However, when I select it I get the all too familiar message. "MM.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. It may be a
problem with this program or with Wine." If I click it again it says MM+ is already running, and I have to then kill its process in Terminal.
Now, can you provide us the URL to where we can find a logging file to
see what is happening? It looks like the program terminates
abnormally and leaves a 'lock' file somewhere and that is not cleaned
up until you terminate the second version of the program.

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#get_log provides guidance on how to create
a log file. Please upload it to a site like pastebin.com (Ubuntu has
its own pastebin site) and provide the URL, including ALL of the
characters.

Thank you.

James McKenzie
bflojoe6
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bflojoe6 »

I've tried running a variety of log outputs, with the following results:

joseph@joseph-laptop:~$ WINEDEBUG=fixme+relay wine msmoney.exe
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\msmoney.exe"
joseph@joseph-laptop:~$ WINEDEBUG=err+relay wine msmoney.exe

Am I not correctly stating the Terminal commands?

It seems significant that when I go to Applications/Wine/Browse Drive C, wine takes me to "/home/joseph/.wine/dosdevices/c". And in drive c is a Program Files folder and in there is Microsoft Money (dosdevices also includes drives d, e, y and z - and drives z, d & e with a locked icon). The z drive owner is 'root'

If I look in the .wine folder in the file browser there are two folders there:
dosdevices and a separate drive_c. Is Wine unable to find msmoney.exe because there are these 2 folders in .wine (both of which contains the folder Program Files, and which includes MM+? Thanks. I'll post the logging file once I can run it.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

bflojoe6 wrote:I've tried running a variety of log outputs, with the following results:

joseph@joseph-laptop:~$ WINEDEBUG=fixme+relay wine msmoney.exe
joseph@joseph-laptop:~$ WINEDEBUG=err+relay wine msmoney.exe

Am I not correctly stating the Terminal commands?
You need to cd to the program directory first.
If I look in the .wine folder in the file browser there are two folders there:
dosdevices and a separate drive_c.
You've already been told that one is just a symlink to the other, and this is normal.
bflojoe6
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bflojoe6 »

Sorry this took so long. Do you mean cd to MSMoney.exe program or cd to winedbg program or cd to wine program? I can cd to drive_c/dosdevices/c: but that is as far as I can get. When I next cd to Program Files I get the message "Program Files is not a directory or file". When I run MSMoney in wine and then look at ps -e I get:

2424 ? 00:00:01 wineserver
2428 ? 00:00:00 services.exe
2430 ? 00:00:00 winedevice.exe
2467 ? 00:00:00 explorer.exe
2468 ? 00:00:00 MSMoney.exe <defunct>
2534 pts/1 00:00:00 ps
joseph@joseph-laptop:~$ winedbg
Wine-dbg>MSMoney.exe
No process loaded, cannot execute 'MSMoney.exe'
Wine-dbg>

the MSMoney process is defunct! Is this the reason MSMoney does not run or is this simply a symptom of a larger problem?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

bflojoe6 wrote:Sorry this took so long. Do you mean cd to MSMoney.exe program or cd to winedbg program or cd to wine program?
"cd" means "change directory." You cannot cd to a program.
I can cd to drive_c/dosdevices/c: but that is as far as I can get. When I next cd to Program Files I get the message "Program Files is not a directory or file".
I doubt that's what it really says. My guess is that it says

Code: Select all

bash: cd: Program: No such file or directory
because you're not putting quotes around the path.

Post the exact terminal output you get when you try to cd to Program Files, including the command you used.
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 5:11 AM, bflojoe6 <[email protected]> wrote:
Sorry this took so long. Do you mean cd to MSMoney.exe program or cd to winedbg program or cd to wine program? I can cd to drive_c/dosdevices/c: but
that is as far as I can get. When I next cd to Program Files I get the message "Program Files is not a directory or file". When I run MSMoney in wine and
then look at ps -e I get:

2424 ?        00:00:01 wineserver
 2428 ?        00:00:00 services.exe
 2430 ?        00:00:00 winedevice.exe
 2467 ?        00:00:00 explorer.exe
 2468 ?        00:00:00 MSMoney.exe <defunct>
 2534 pts/1    00:00:00 ps
joseph@joseph-laptop:~$ winedbg
Wine-dbg>MSMoney.exe
No process loaded, cannot execute 'MSMoney.exe'
Wine-dbg>

the MSMoney process is defunct! Is this the reason MSMoney does not run or is this simply a symptom of a larger problem?
Two things:

To change directories to a directory with a space in it you must
either enclose the directory name in quotes (as dimensio said) or
'escape' the space with a backslash (\) like this:
cd Program\ Files

However, the MSMoney.exe program should not be showing up in a program
listing from what I remember. It should be something like
wine MSMoney.exe

What is the exact line you are using to start MSMoney?

James McKenzie
oldefoxx
Level 2
Level 2

Re: wine cannot find L "c:/windows/system32/plugplay.exe

Post by oldefoxx »

I had a similar problem, but in my case, I was trying to run a Windows program for correcting NTFS bad sector problems. Previous efforts to resolve this matter missed an important detail. The first part of the error message is

wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\...
The question is, why is Wine looking for the exe file there? The obvious answer is, because it does not know any better. But why doesn't it know any better? Because you haven't told it otherwise. In other words, looking in c:]windows\ayatem32\ is the default path if you don't say otherwise.

Let's assume you want to run the downloaded exe file right out of the Downloads folder, because that is where fownloads go if you don't say otherwise. You change this:

wine NtfsRecoveryToolkit.exe
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\NtfsRecoveryToolkit.exe"
to this:

wine ./Downloads/NtfsRecoveryToolkit.exe
or this:

wine Downloads/NtfsRecoveryToolkit.exe
or to br more specific, to this:

wine ~/Downloads/NtfsRecoveryToolkit.exe
The squiggle specifically refers to /home/[your username],whereas the others are from whatever point you have gotten to with the "cd" (meaning Current Directory) command. Want to know what your current directory is? It's what comes before the "$" sign when you are in terminal mode. Ypu can also us the "pwd" (Present Working Directory) command to verify this.

Unfortunately, NtfsRecoveryToolkit.exe isx not going to do the trick for me. It only looks at the partitions set up on the first hard drive. It does not take into account any second or plugged in drives trhat might be present.
olivierfrdierick
Level 5
Level 5

Re: wine cannot find L "c:/windows/system32/plugplay.exe

Post by olivierfrdierick »

Why are you bumping a 4 year old thread to say nothing more than what was already said?