:( Orange Box? Please?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
linuxpenguin

Post by linuxpenguin »

I've heard that it's possible to run Orange Box on WINE. I've tried several tutorials but can't get it to work - I got it all to install, and Steam pops up no problem, but the games crash at the loading screen and bring me back to my desktop. I even tried the original Half-Life - does the same thing.

I tried using the command line to see if there would be any error or debug info, but no dice since Steam actually launches the games.

Help anyone? If it matters, here's my system:
AMD Sempron 3300+
nVidia GeForce FX 5500 256MB
768MB RAM

Distro is Debian lenny, uname -a spits out:
uname -a
Linux darkwing 2.6.22-3-k7 #1 SMP Sun Feb 10 21:04:14 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

Thanks,
Scott
vitamin

Re: :( Orange Box? Please?

Post by vitamin »

linuxpenguin wrote:I've heard that it's possible to run Orange Box on WINE. I've tried several tutorials but can't get it to work - I got it all to install, and Steam pops up no problem, but the games crash at the loading screen and bring me back to my desktop. I even tried the original Half-Life - does the same thing.

I tried using the command line to see if there would be any error or debug info, but no dice since Steam actually launches the games.

AMD Sempron 3300+
768MB RAM

uname -a

Thanks,
Scott
You should always check Application DB first. It has lots of useful information regarding Steam and Valve games.
In your case it seems you did not disable "In-Game community".
oisin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oisin »

I had a similar problem a while back, i fixed it by enabling ALSA and disabling OSS support. Dont know if this will help u in your case.
FatButtLarry
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FatButtLarry »

I've heard that it's possible to run Orange Box on WINE. I've tried several tutorials but can't get it to work - I got it all to install, and Steam pops up no problem, but the games crash at the loading screen and bring me back to my desktop. I even tried the original Half-Life - does the same thing.
Yes you are correct it is possible.
Yeah, I've had no luck with this either.
AMD Sempron 3300+
768MB RAM
I'm AMD64 Ubuntu 7.10 GeForce FX 5600 128MB 1GB RAM

My brother is the same except 32 bit.
uname -a
NVIDIA released an updated driver this week with some bugfixes for
Counterstrike 1.6 and Half-Life 1, but the symptoms were the game
crashing at gordon's face. I fixed mine by upgrading the driver to
169.12, and upgrading to wine 0.9.55.

My brother has not had suck luck.

Please post your trials in this thread, and I'll do the same for my brother.

-Tres
linuxpenguin

Post by linuxpenguin »

Thanks for the replies. I got this working by updating to the new nVidia driver, and then switching WINE to using ALSA for sound (other tutorial said to use OSS if it didn't work with ALSA. . . I'm guessing nVidia drivers caused it not to work, then OSS caused more trouble once that was fixed).

Tutorial is here BTW, once you get it working there's some useful comments at the bottom about some registry keys that speed it up too:
http://www.fsckin.com/2007/10/15/how-to ... sing-wine/

Also, about HL1 crashing at Gordon's face. . . that's what happened for me too, in regards to HL1 (he's there at the initial screen where you choose "New Game", "Load Game", "Options", etc).

And I did disable the in-game community, after reading about that in the AppDB (been a Linux user a long time, and I know that's where stuff about different apps gets posted. I've just never been on the forums before - no need for it until you have trouble really).
Paul Johnson

Post by Paul Johnson »

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 4:39 PM, linuxpenguin <[email protected]> wrote:
Tutorial is here BTW, once you get it working there's some useful comments at the bottom about some registry keys that speed it up too:
http://www.fsckin.com/2007/10/15/how-to ... sing-wine/
You might want to update the appropriate appdb entries at WineHQ as well.

--
Paul Johnson
[email protected]