[Warcraft 3 FT] Using the ALT + <x> combination for it

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
starach
Level 1
Level 1

[Warcraft 3 FT] Using the ALT + <x> combination for it

Post by starach »

Hello,

I was able to configure and run W3FT with eurobattle.net. I'm also being able to use CustomKeys. Unfortunately not all of them
Above application enables custom key shortcuts in windows. Its useful for items menu. I set them as fallows to Alt + q, w, e and Alt + a, s, d. Every application is on and running and after pressing F5 i hear it saying "Custom keys activated" but those shortcuts doesn't work.

On this page:
I found the fallowing:
How do avoid problems w­ith ALT-KEY combos?

Window managers often have the alt key bound to certain features, especially the alt-click. THIS IS NOT A WINE BUG. If you have problems with the alt key in any way DO NOT REPORT IT. Fix your window manager. If you are desperate, turn off window manager managed windows in winecfg.

KDE

Go into KDE Control Center, expand Desktop, click window behavior, then click window actions tab. You can turn off the alt-combos. If you want to make window specific settings, click on window specific settings under window behavior on the side.

GNOME

The option to change the key binding is in System Menu -> Preferences Menu -> Windows.
Unfortunately after doing the fallowing for gnome my shortcuts still doesn't want to work either.
Only option left is to turn of window manager but since I compiled wine from sources I don't have winecfg application. Can it be disabled some other way? Or maybe there is other sollution?

Thanks in advance.
dimesio

Re: [Warcraft 3 FT] Using the ALT + <x> combination fo

Post by dimesio »

starach wrote: since I compiled wine from sources I don't have winecfg application.
You should have it. If you don't, you did something wrong.
vitamin

Re: [Warcraft 3 FT] Using the ALT + <x> combination fo

Post by vitamin »

starach wrote:Only option left is to turn of window manager but since I compiled wine from sources I don't have winecfg application.
You do, to run it use 'wine winecfg' command.

You probably forgetting to disable using [Alt] for moving windows. It's in a different place then all other key bindings.
starach
Level 1
Level 1

Post by starach »

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/2686 ... refere.png

You are right "wine winecfg" did the trick. I was trying to invoke it by typing winecfg alone. Eiter way as you can see above disabling ALT didn't helped at all. What else can I do?
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

starach wrote:Eiter way as you can see above disabling ALT didn't helped at all. What else can I do?
When you start your game from the terminal do you see any messages related to setting accelerator keys?
starach
Level 1
Level 1

Post by starach »

I'm running both applications using fallowing script. Only the executable file is different.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

export WINEPREFIX="/home/starach/.wine" 
cd /home/starach/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Warcraft\ III/
/usr/src/wine-war3/wine "C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\euroloader.exe"
/bin/bash
And this is what I get inside terminal after trying to use those Alt + <x> combinations.

war3.exe (acually euroloader.exe for eurobattlenet connection):

starach@debian:Warcraft III> fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA ATI HDMI, disabling mixer
err:ole:CoCreateInstance apartment not initialised
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f2b8,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f634,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f66c,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:imm:ImmGetOpenStatus (0x16cc80): semi-stub
fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0x4003a, 0x16cc80): stub
DCGExtensionScript2.2.exe:

wine: could not load L"C:\\windows\\system32\\plugplay.exe": Module not found
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA ATI HDMI, disabling mixer
fixme:mciqtz:MCIQTZ_mciStatus MCI_STATUS_MODE not implemented yet
fixme:mciqtz:MCIQTZ_mciStatus MCI_STATUS_MODE not implemented yet
fixme:winmm:MMDRV_Exit Closing while ll-driver open
starach
Level 1
Level 1

Post by starach »

And if I will prevent window manager from controlling wine's windows inside winecfg as shown below:

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/7079 ... shotwm.jpg

...Warcraft stops receiving any messages from keyboard. Even simple Enter stops working. Everything is sent to terminal window. So whatever I type or press insted beeing sent to games window is handled by gnome-terminal window :/
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

starach wrote:And if I will prevent window manager from controlling wine's windows inside winecfg ...Warcraft stops receiving any messages from keyboard.
Sounds like you have some broken application running that steals all keyboard input. Have you disable 3d-desktop effects? Have you stopped or keyboard emulators, helpers translators, etc?
starach
Level 1
Level 1

Post by starach »

I don't know how and where to search for them.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

starach wrote:I don't know how and where to search for them.
Kill all programs that are not related to Gnome.

Also try running your game in a separate X display. Eg:

cd /home/starach/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Warcraft\ III/
xinit /usr/src/wine-war3/wine euroloader.exe  -- :1
starach
Level 1
Level 1

Post by starach »

Looks like I have no rights to use this command but I dont know how to grant them for myself.
X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

starach wrote:Looks like I have no rights to use this command but I dont know how to grant them for myself.
X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
Works fine here (not ubuntu). Ask your distro forum how to fix it. Or use google...